Clutch problems

GoldenMotor.com

Toffa

Mar 1, 2011
Australia
I have a Chinese 66cc 2 stroke engine on my bike, lately it's clutch had been acting up. When I'm riding along and then hit the breaks I pull in the clutch lever when I pull in the clutch lever the bike seems as if it is fighting against the engine, it has a pull and let go feel to it. Does anyone kno what the problem is? Also I pulled off the sprocket panel on the left hand side of the engine and the bolt that goes throughthe sprocket fell out. Why did it fall out? Is this bad?:-||

hpjc10

May 3, 2010
Medford
What you lost was the thing that engages the clutch. what you lost was essential to the function of your motor. Get a new one of those. the easiest way to fix this is to add more tension to the clutch wire coming from your handle bar. pull it with a needle nose plier, push on the clutch bar until it is difficult to hold, then tighten the wire nut right up against the clutch bar. if that doesn't work then open the cover of the other side of the motor, and engage the clutch. remove the screw that is on the middle of your clutch plate, then loosen that bolt until the clutch plate is not touching the friction pads anymore. put the screw back in and reassemble

twaddy38

Mar 10, 2012
lempster,nh
CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE WITH THIS CLUTCH PROBLEM??? I WAS RIDING LONG TODAY AND SUDDENDLY THE CLUTCH let go. i took off the right hand cover and the little gear that meshes with the big gear was completely stripped bare. how do i replace this and how do i take it apart to access the little gear that needs replacing. appreciate any help. twaddy38

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE WITH THIS CLUTCH PROBLEM??? I WAS RIDING LONG TODAY AND SUDDENDLY THE CLUTCH let go. i took off the right hand cover and the little gear that meshes with the big gear was completely stripped bare. how do i replace this and how do i take it apart to access the little gear that needs replacing. appreciate any help. twaddy38
Holly **** dude, how the **** did you manage to trash one of only 2 really strong gears in these motors?

Apparently not in the kit you bought.
SO let me ask you and make a point, did you buy some no name kit off E-bay for like $150? ... And now you want to keep throwing more money at it because it broke already?

OR, is it a quality motor and you have been riding it a long time?
A 'long time' means well over 200 miles.

That is THE important question if you want advice and help I think because sometimes it is just best to let it go and start over.

twaddy38

Mar 10, 2012
lempster,nh
first of all i.m not a dude, but a 73 year old woman who loves MB<S!!!! That,said, I bought the thing from rose426a on ebay and its a fast little bugger, much faster than others I,ve owned and had restricted by the EPA guys that other sellers have used. So this motor is o.k. Its myself I blame... I did not tighten up the mounting bolts quite tight enough; rode the damn thing for about 2 miles and the damn sprocket chain slipped;let go, and wound around the inner coaster brake arm . Really tight I might add. So tight I had to pry it loose after freeing the rear wheel with a screwdriver and hammer!!. I beleive that,s what weakened the little clutch sprocket. the woodruff key was also filed down!! Ordered a new sprocket from Piston Bikes and a new key... hopefully nothing else was damaged here. Thanks for the post, though, guy!!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
first of all i.m not a dude, but a 73 year old woman who loves MB<S!!!! That,said, I bought the thing from rose426a on ebay and its a fast little bugger...
Ahhh COOL!
I've never met a wrench turning Granny my dad's age with near 2 decades on my old ass, I LOVE it!
I wish my pop was that spry but he is long past that.
****, I might be too before to long as well.

Keep on ride'n gal, and enjoy.

OR

If judging by your member ID info and posts here you really are just a kid.
Well, what comes around goes around and posers will find that they get cut off from the very info they seek so I highly recommend you just be real here whoever you are, even if you are dick like me ;-}

twaddy38

Mar 10, 2012
lempster,nh
Seriouly I am no poser but indeed, 73 years young!!! Hence, the 38 (My year) after twaddy, (my cat). Do you think I may have damaged the crankshaft by the small gears burred off? The woodruff key was pretty filed down also. The guy at Piston bikes said it usually does not do any real damage BUT what is your imput on this. You must be in your middle 50,s judging by your Dad,s age, (Like me ) Keep riding, too. Thanks, carol N. (Twaddy38)

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I have a Chinese 66cc 2 stroke engine on my bike, lately it's clutch had been acting up. When I'm riding along and then hit the breaks I pull in the clutch lever when I pull in the clutch lever the bike seems as if it is fighting against the engine, it has a pull and let go feel to it. Does anyone kno what the problem is? Also I pulled off the sprocket panel on the left hand side of the engine and the bolt that goes throughthe sprocket fell out. Why did it fall out? Is this bad?:-||
The "bolt" on the left is not a bolt it's a "bucking bar" and it's supposed to come out. There is a ball behind the bucking bar. I'm sure you need to adjust the clutch. You do that on the right side. Put some grease behind the bucking bar.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

It might be really stuck, as I'm sure the key got stripped.