Easy, Cheap electric super charger?!?!?!?!

GoldenMotor.com

littleman456

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
So I read about an idea to make a super easy super charger awhile ago on another forum that i totally forgot about until today. The basic idea was to take an edf, a type of small electric motor most commonly used in r/c jet planes and connect it to your intake.... The more I thought of this the more I thought it could be possible. All you would have to do would be to connect the edf to a lighting coil on your engine and somehow connect it in between the air filter and carb right? Or if a lighting coil didn't have the right current/volts you could somehow connect an alternator to the engine... Any input would be great since i'm no mechanic or electronics engineer by any means.

Oh and here is a link to what i'm talking about,
HobbyKing Online R/C Hobby Store : Hardware & accessories.>EDF System & Parts

littleman456

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
I know that a super/turbocahrger would not work on a Chinese two stroke...at least it would probably not be worth it. i guess i should have specified I would be putting it on a four stroke from anywhere between 50 and 200cc's

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
It looks like you're headed in the right direction with this EDF, but the question still remains if they are powerful enough to produce the flow and pressures necessary to see power gains.

The link Goat Herder posted has some information about the pressures needed.

Here's what thee "Supercharged Honda 50 Racing" article says about electric super chargers: http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/01/13/supercharged-honda-50-racing/

Electrical Super Chargers

There are electrical superchargers available on the Internet, however the pressures that are needed to generate horsepower that is noticeable, especially on a small engine is close to 5 to 10 psi and a electrical superchargers not going to give you that kind of pressure. Additionally the added weight of having a battery will be needed which will far outweigh what a supercharger is really adding for power to weight ratio benefit, especially on a go kart.
I'd love to buy one of the EDF's and build a test bench to see what it's capabilities are, but I just don't have the time or money to do that right now.

Basically you need to find out the basic information. What is the stock motors WOT consumption in air. You need to know how much air you're already using to know if your blower will be able to add any, let alone keep up.

Then you need to know what the EDF can put out in cfs and psi. A test platform would be fairly simple to build. You'd pretty much just build a mini wind tunnel.

Erich

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Being an R/C flyer I can vouch for the fact that a ducted fan can move a bunch of air. But I think the real issue is the voltage and amperage required. Its no uncommon to see these running on 6 lipo cells with an 80-100 amp speed control, all pricy stuff. Still you would probably get a 10min+ run time which would yeild a bunch of short boost runs. Now to figure how to enrichen it under boost.