Indian vrs Harley build

GoldenMotor.com

RustyRacer

Oct 28, 2010
Pinckney mi
hey guys new to the forum, yet a buddy and i are working on two vintage board trackers. i am working off a schwinn frame and friend of a hawthorne frame we think? anyways we been working on the project for a little while now and they are nearly complete. the idea was to make it look like we found the bikes in a old barn or feild and just took a little time to get them running. i going to post pics from start just to see the progress. it has been really fun and we just love the vintage board track style. Made most parts at home and purposfully aged the bikes. let me know what you think

Attachments

RustyRacer

Oct 28, 2010
Pinckney mi
next came the internal throttle and internal clutch that i came up with after modeling mine after the throttle off a honda 70 minitrail bike. a pic of both bikes in the studio harley on top indian on bottom, both still needing work and decals of course

Attachments

RustyRacer

Oct 28, 2010
Pinckney mi
ok bikes nearly done now, i road the harley replica and it does about 40mph which is better then i thought. still need some adjustment on carb, think i can get a little more out of it. bike has decals now, just need to age them. i need to add my numberplates and modify my pipe yet then i will post final pics of both bikes, let me know your thoughts, thanks guys

Attachments

Spaz_head

Sep 1, 2010
Canada
Great job on the bikes. I really like the aged look. How did you give it the aged look? Is it a chemical etch that was applied.

Thanks

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You did some nice work and Kyle's tank adds a lot. The engine area looks better on the Indian mostly because of the expansion exhaust. With the same type of piping the Harley will look even better. It kind of tricks the eye into giving the drop loop look and filling out that lower area. Cool you guys worked on your projects at the same time and now can ride your cool 'old' bikes as buddies. Of course, now it turning to winter, but that will give you all the more time to tinker in time with your bikes in time for spring riding.
Nice jobs, both of you.
SB

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Right on!!!! You guys got mad skills baby, those bikes are awesome . Works of art . Would it be possible to get more detailed pics? How did you do the internal throttle? Great job yoy guys should be proud of those

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
nice job! As a fan of the old board track scene myself, I can appreciate all the time and effort that went into making these (not that these other guys can't). Great work and attention to detail, I'm curious about what you used to age them as well.

Metrolcp

Feb 28, 2010
New York
Very cool bikes! Blackhog01 take alook at Northeast Vintage Cycle OEM NOS and Reproduction Honda Parts Z50 CT70 Minitrail for the throttle. Click on special and Look for z501-k2/ct70ko. For $28 you can't beat it for the look. I live near this shop so I made a rubbing of the cut out in the bars. This makes the hardest job easy. Honda Motorcycle Parts, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Motorcycle Parts - ATV, Classic Bike, Dirt Bike Parts has a diagram of the parts so you can see how it works. Don't forget the grommet for the cable exit from the bars it's not in the kit.

Chris

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Wow another over the top bike, or should I say bikes. The looks are perfect now if they had some vintage Whizzer engine's in them. I like the Happy engines but the sound is everything. I took the baffle out of my Whizzer and will never put it back. You need to chuck those carbs and find proper looking and adjustable replacements. I have been using carbs off the old rotary jet Yamaha's, a world of a difference. I have also been fitting up some old carbs off Kohler edger engines, little jets everywhere so they can be fine tuned from the saddle. Do you guys work for the movie special affects team, you got the look as they say. LOL have fun, Dave

PS: I wondered how long it would take to use the throttle off the little Cub Honda. I have twenty of those bikes in my garage. Worked for Honda in the early days

RustyRacer

Oct 28, 2010
Pinckney mi
Hey guys thanks for all your input and comments. The aging is a process involving the right amount of heat and paint an sanding and paint and more heat and so on. Indian almost on the road an I nearly got the number plates on the Harley. Love to work on projects like this. And I wish I was doing special effects prop building for the movies that would be awesome. Hey the throttles off the cub probably would take about a hour to make work for these bikes since u already have the material and setup. I took the baffles out of my pipe on the harley and cut it on slant so it looks like open header And I loud. I love it. I'll post more pics soon. Thanks guys

Spaz_head

Sep 1, 2010
Canada
Can you give us a step by step on how you did the aged paint?

What type of paint did you used?

How did you heat it? Heat gun, torch...

What did you sand it with.

Looks like a very interesting finish people would be interested in.

Thanks

msoteros

Mar 5, 2010
michigan
hey; those bikes are awsome, bro. you should build those for a living, $2500.00 a shot. you have inspired me to sand , burn , and age my board traker.are you buddies? working togeather, or bros ? great jobs

msoteros

Mar 5, 2010
michigan
Those bikes again are awsome, you should work for art studio in disney, or holleywood.......awsome....are u guys riding buddies?