1950's vintage colson project.

GoldenMotor.com

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Small update. The monark fork came in yesterday along with the front mount kit from sbp. Got the forks installed. Had to switch the plates to the outer side of the fork to fit my drum brake wheel. Just need to make a mount for the brake arm. Did half A$$ install of the motor mount to see if it would work, Little more work n should be installed later tonight. Need to order new cdi as i ripped the spark plug wire out of housing. OPPS...I will try and get some pics up tmw morning. I want to thank Venice for the great service and great packing along with speedy mailing. Thanks sbp for the mounts!! Just gathering parts now to make the trike housing. Thanks for all the commets folks, It keeps me going and staying busy! Thanks!!!

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Thanks Bimoped, I did ruin it anyways. Didnt know that lol. Well just small update with no pics yet. Man i tell ya, when u got money, seems like all the bills n taxes come around same time and wanting it all!
Anyhow, I did make some front mount plates to go between the u bolt clamp and seems be tight on there. I used an old bicycle stem and chopped it up. Now my crank is rubbing on both sides of the engine. Will grind down the inner side of the crank down hopefully this evening. Now i am on a big budget, I was thinking about breaking down my rear worksmans wheel and use the hub as the jackshaft kit to the trike kit. I was wondering if you guys think the mm adapater can handle have 2 sprockets with 1 on each side. I was thinking about drilling thru and retap it and slap it on the hub and i would be done with that. what ya'll think? I just need to order the rear axle and bearings and get the metal to finish it up. Hoping to have it mostly done but paint by the end of the month, depending on my luck. Hope ya'll have a great sunday!!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
your tank is almost done. i need to get the right mounting hardware and solder them in. was gonna do it today, but it's been sprinkiling on and off all day so i can't get to the hardware store. so i finished most of the grinding and polishing, installed the petcock, and messed around with the brass overlays i was talking to you about.

the brass looked like crap, so i gave up on it. to me, it just wouldn't match and started to look like some old lady's arts and crafts project.

it doesn't leak at all, but i'm still gonna Kreem it so it won't have any problems in the future.

i'm pretty stoked on it, but i couldn't get the front on the right angle to completely fill the space. the metal just doesn't bend that way. i was thinking about soldering on an extra piece and using that as part of the front mount, but i couldn't come up with anything that looked right.

anyway, i'm pretty sure you'll like it, it's just the perfectionist in me that finds all the little quirks.

once i can get the parts, it'll take no time at all, then a day for the Kreem to dry. unless a disaster strikes, i'll have it ready to ship early next week.

here's some pics, and how it looks on my bike:

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bairdco,
The tank is wonderful, but how in the heck is it there is no solder showing? Did you do something to make the solder copper colored... paint it or something? I like the curve up front and it fills the space just fine. The curve compliments the sweep back and down of the whole tank. Very pleasing. When I make mine this winter if it is half as nice I'll be thrilled. I was looking on the internet today trying to find the hardware for receiving bolts to hold it in place. Fasteddy suggested something like brass tubing with the inside end crimped and soldered shut and soldered into place on the tank. Then using a die to cut threads in it. There must be something ready made, but don't know what. I love your tank, bud!
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i soldered the top to the sides from the inside, then grinded and polished all the solder off the outside. the bottom has a big bead of solder all around it, but it's the bottom, so you can't see it.

after i grinded it all down, i filled it with water and checked it for leaks, and there was 1 very small pinhole leak, so i carefully soldered that from the outside, made sure it dripped into the seam, then grinded it all pretty again.

the hardware i'm looking for are threaded brass bushings. i'm pretty sure i've seen them at McFadden Dale Industrial hardware, but i can't find them online. Ace has non-threaded ones, but they're like 4 bucks each. you could solder them closed and thread a tap into them. hopefully it's not raining tomorrow and i can pick some up. i'll post pics when it's done.

thanks for the praise, guys. every tank i do, it gets easier, and they get better. it's still a pain, but it's worth it.

in case you're wondering, it's 16g. copper sheet, enough for a tank costs about 30 bucks, a tecumseh petcock for 2.99, recycled fuel bung and cap from the kit peanut, almost a whole roll of silver solder for 11.99, flux $?...

not to mention the mapp gas, stainless brush, grinding bit, polishing wheel, enough enough smokes to last till it's completed, and a ton of patience.

it ain't cheap, but it's totally worth it.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Great work Bairdco! That's a good price on the copper sheet I didn't see anything that reasonable online. If my PVC tank doesn't work out i'm going to try the copper route.

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Wow, That tank looks great! IT looks really good tucked inside of the frame like that!!! Great work bairdco! You do some good work even tho u only did it a few times. I like how u cant see the seams. That some kick ass work man!!! I am really excited about the tank. I am hoping to have most of the bike together in time when the tank arrives. Still need to make the trike kit as i have most of the parts expect the metal. Again Thanks bairdco!

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Well just a small update. I do have the bike put together 2 wheel verison with the engine installed. Got the tank on also but havent bolted it down yet. I been having problems with getting the engine to run and stay running with the cns carb. I did put on a speed carb with some improvement. Decdied to play around with the engine and carb over the weekend. Found out the engine had no upper head gasket. I think that where all my lean air was coming from. Put a new metal gasket on and got the engine running alot better. I decdied to put a straight pipe on it to see if it makes a differents. WOW got it running great now! Cleaned up the adjustment screws and it moving now. Got it adjusted nicely. Put the stock muffler back on and it wont run right. So got to thinking, No head gasket, Cheap muffler were causing all these problems. I am going to make a new exhuast over the next few weeks as i am busy man lately. I hoping to get some pics up over the next few days. She is awesome. Loving it!!! NOw if i can get it painted hugger orange with cream tires I will be a happy camper!

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
As you can see i am using a handlebar stem as my rear mount. I can move it over just alittle without the chain jumping off. It still rubs the tires but not as bad it did when i first put it on without adjust the stem.

I haven't touch the bike in a while due to no funds. I am hoping to order a new motor after tax time. Other than paint job she pretty much done. I will get some pics after i get the new motor installed.