Riding a boardtrack/cafe-- Ouch!

GoldenMotor.com

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
Since I switched my whole front end to a boardtracker/cafe racer setup yesterday I was dying to ride it. After 30 minutes my back won't last much longer, and I was wondering, those of you with board-track riding positions how do you remain somewhat comfortable without putting too much pressure on the back or wrists? Shoud the bars face more forwards or backwards? Should the seat be higher or lower?

Thanks.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Speaking from experience, the cafe/boardtrack riding position is not for average rider or if you seeking comfort in your ride. The look of the forward position is great, but not very comfortable for long rides.

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
I think its down to frame size, With a strectched frame you wont have to hunch over so much to reach the bars.. Drop bars on a regular cruiser would kill my back in minutes, im 6,4 so i used a 28 inch ladies bike frame to gain some length.. when i sit up straight i can barely reach the bars and when im cruising on them my back is almost straight, well almost..

Lowering your bars and mowing them forwards could actully take some pressure of your back.. Just a theory..

When you are building/buying a regular bicycle you usally take your time to get the geometry of it right to suit the rider, here we usally go the other way around trying to fit the engine first, THEN the rider.. :)

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Low seat & high bars = comfort, high seat & low bars = speed...

I'll take comfort lol, the boardtrack bars look sweet and all, even if they're jus' upside down regular bars... but I'd only consider that for shows, racing, or for pics.

Ofc I don't really have a boardtrack replica anyway, jus' a vintage comfy cruiser sos I ain't flippin' em heh :D

I've seen ol' boardtrackers that had padding on the tank - if yer low enough, maybe that'd help?

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
Boardtrack style bikes aren't going to be comfortable to ride, period.

When I did mine, I did the handlebars like the road-legal motorcycles of the day, with long Shelby-style handlebars. This gave a very upright seating position, but the long handlebars make low-speed riding pretty difficult (I copied the main dimensions off of a vintage motorcycle parts catalog that gave them... as far as I could find, the bicycles had crossbars on the handlebars, but the motorcycles didn't).

Whenever I start out, I look like a 6-yr old that learned to ride a bike the day before. I alternate between pedaling and walking for 15-20 feet sometimes.

When I get around to doing another vintage-style MB, I won't worry about copying exact period handlebars. I'll just do a vintage "seagull" style that will look right, but should still allow decent steering control at all speeds.
~

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
Uhm? how old are you guys? I have a flipped BMX handlebar that puts my hands way below the toptube and it is pretty darn comfortable.. But then again im used to ride road bikes (the non motorized version) on the drops with skinny tires so anything thats not rattling my teeth to pieces is comfortable to me.. :)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
This is why I'm not getting rid of my cruiser when I build my BT bike. The cruiser will be for riding and the BT bike will be for being uncomfortable but looking cool. laff

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
42blue15... that's a nice bike, but it's not a 'board track' style... It's more 'antique MC' style. still kewl tho!
Board Trackers have the down facing bars, which is what this threads about.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I consider my bike a vintage style bike, I have the flipped bars and low seat for the look and the riding position I wanted, but I didn't over do it. I set my grips just slightly higher than my seat and bike is extremely comfortable, even for extended rides.

So while I don't have a true board track look, I can ride with my my board track buddies without the pain in the back.

Attachments