Worksman Boardtracker

GoldenMotor.com

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
One caveat about worksman boardtrackers

While this bike appears to be a great build for those who want an easier build, using the worksman frame without adding the loop style frame and about 5" still misses the aesthetic boat a bit, or was this bike lengthened, it doesn't look like it? I used a husky bike on my first build and as I didn't have a slant plug, it was a LOT more work cutting an welding. I have decided to try worksman this next go around but I am going to stretch it (so there might be as much work) as I did not stretch my frame on the husky and I have regretted it as although the bike has been well received the only adverse comment was it looked a bit short. As I did not powdercoat my bike, a rebuild with a stretch is probably going to be in the works but not until I finish my 1909 Indian tribute (with a stretched worksman frame) hopefully by November. I am going to fudge and use the Monarch forks although I might beef them up a bit if the welds look suspect although one day there is hope that maybe I can find that neat leaf fork.
The tank is extremely interesting but I assume it is only available for a short frame.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hoodoo,
Interesting comments. This build is what I call the standard model "Sportsman Flyer". More models are coming. I have five frames right now in the process of a 4" stretch and loop. These will be package deals with the frame, fork, stretched gas tank, and oil tank/tool box. Forks will be the reinforced Monarks that I have been building. Here is the fork link. ratrodbikes.com • View topic - Monark fork Repair Frames are all being built in a proper frame jig and will have plenty of room for any currently available bicycle engine. I also have plans for a loop model that will not be stretched and will use my current tank design. My experience is that most people just want the standard model and my standard Sportsman Flyer kit fits the bill perfectly for that. I need to update this thread with finalized pictures of this build. I have a lot of saddle time on this bike now, and I can say that it handles great and is tough as nails.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hoodoo,
Yours is the only boardtracker build I know of using the Husky frame. Other that the stretch issue, what is your impression of the frame and fork? I understand that the Husky and Worksman frames are very similar in design and that the Husky frame is heavy duty. What about the Husky wheels? Are you using the drum front brake? A picture would be nice so as to compare the two frames.
Pat, Sounds great that there will be options for people, opening up more engine possibilities.
SB

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Hoodoo,
Yours is the only boardtracker build I know of using the Husky frame. Other that the stretch issue, what is your impression of the frame and fork? I understand that the Husky and Worksman frames are very similar in design and that the Husky frame is heavy duty. What about the Husky wheels? Are you using the drum front brake? A picture would be nice so as to compare the two frames.
Pat, Sounds great that there will be options for people, opening up more engine possibilities.
SB
I must admit that I am neither a craftsman or a designer. I am more of a "cheerleader" that inspires others to do things for me--I am not "purty" but the helpless routine works-- (three different friends did essential stuff on the bike in three different locations)...I just made it easy for them by getting everything together and having the "confidence" that gave them confidence. I bought the husky because it just looked more "right" for what I wanted and it said it had a 300 lb capacity (I'm no lightweight at 220) and I went from there. The worksman is also heavy duty I understand, and I don't think there is much to choose between them on strength. With Worksman apparently catching the wave of interest, might as well ride it. I am going worksman from now on. The fork of the husky was the first think I got rid of, put on a springer.

No drum front brake. Here in Texas, these bikes are mostly ridden under very limited circumstances except maybe in rural areas as Texas laws are anti- this type. I have several off road places I can ride it that fit into my living history fun. Actually, I guess most of us who do this have a bit of History bug in us. The cruiser brake works just fine for me. If I wanted to go 30-50 mph on a highway I am going motorcycle, but they scare me to death. However 15-25 on a dirt road or grass field is downright FUN!

There is an old adage, only one lawyer in town starves, two in town make a fortune suing each others clients. I am afraid this may happen when I get two of these bikes, things might get competitive...as my friends can't stay off the one I have....oh, well, no one lives forever.

Al

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Hoodoo,
Interesting comments. This build is what I call the standard model "Sportsman Flyer". More models are coming. I have five frames right now in the process of a 4" stretch and loop. These will be package deals with the frame, fork, stretched gas tank, and oil tank/tool box. Forks will be the reinforced Monarks that I have been building. Here is the fork link. ratrodbikes.com • View topic - Monark fork Repair Frames are all being built in a proper frame jig and will have plenty of room for any currently available bicycle engine. I also have plans for a loop model that will not be stretched and will use my current tank design. My experience is that most people just want the standard model and my standard Sportsman Flyer kit fits the bill perfectly for that. I need to update this thread with finalized pictures of this build. I have a lot of saddle time on this bike now, and I can say that it handles great and is tough as nails.
The stretched gas tank is tank I am interested in. My welder cousin thinks he can make one and I am going to let him try but stretched tanks would be awesome, especially if a variant could be made with rounded sides....that is always the problem, in a limited market, it is hard to please anyone completely. I really like the rounded look, but then again that would not stop me from purchasing a flat sided tank pre built.....

As for the kit though, isn't is almost as cheap to just use a complete factory worksman for each project, even if supplied disassembled as a kit with modified frame and monarch style forks? I mean you get the pedal set up, wheels with black tires already set up, complete fenders (a lot of guys are going to find that the lack of fenders is going to be irritating....boardtrackers were really meant for real boardtracking which was a very clean surface. Having cruiser style handlebars included would also be a nice option for more upright riding. This would only add about 175 to the kit and while not "cheap", it would surely add to the convenience. Just curious.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I wanted to clarify the above a bit when it comes to advertising - the only time we remove/edit/move advertising threads is if they're not bicycle related or not in 'Swap and Shop' & this is done only to help preserve the integrity of the forum.

Do please feel free to create product threads in 'Swap and Shop', link to those threads in 'Swap and Shop' when someone asks, & even advertise your website by adding a link in your signature, we really appreciate the diversity in products and we in no way wish to curtail this - we're simply trying to keep the forum as unbiased as possible :)

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
BarelyAwake,

Let me be the first to thank you for clarification regarding advertising, and Swap & Shop.

Peace Bro, Crazy Horse.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'll admit it's a bit of a gray area when it comes to personal bikes built by vendors/product development kinda stuff like the above... it does get tricky & we mostly rely on the vendor to constrain themselves. It's pretty much a case of if you're selling - it goes in S&S, if your just talking about your own personal experiences & sharing pics of your ride, then your just like any other member & post wherever is appropriate.

I'd also like to add that having a thread moved is in no way a punitive action - we're just doing the usual tidying up that's needful from time to time ;)

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Has anyone noticed the Huffy Crainbrook at wally world. I think Huffy is using the wheels off there commercial bikes for this one. I am going to get one just to strip the wheels off. The spokes look like a motorcycles. 75.00 bucks on sale now. All they have left at the store near me is the girls. But I just need the components. Have fun

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Has anyone noticed the Huffy Crainbrook at wally world. I think Huffy is using the wheels off there commercial bikes for this one. I am going to get one just to strip the wheels off. The spokes look like a motorcycles. 75.00 bucks on sale now. All they have left at the store near me is the girls. But I just need the components. Have fun
Yes I have seen the Huffy Cranbrook with those wheels...it's almost like they have been listening to use lol.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi!

I have a Huffy Cranbrook, and I bought it for the thick spokes (12 ga I think).

Ive read on the forum that they are so so only, and the shamino-falcon rear hub craps out with a MM sprocket adapter, thus MM stopped making them?

My build is still a "work in progress", (i've regreased my 2 axels), and when I took it for a test run, the rear hub got extra loose.

Egor, looking forward to future posts/updates on your new cranbrook rims. :)

tvc15

Jun 27, 2010
portland, OR
I make the bike stands. If you need one just shoot me an email. I can even kick start the bike (not this one but the finished one!) on the stand and then let it warm up. This stand has the Schwinn "AS" logo above the motorbike logo, but that can easily be dropped from the CAD file if you don't have a Schwinn.
Can I order a stand?