The best condidate for a motor bicycle build

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
KC, I just gave your nic and and addy here to a buddy moving down your way. He's waiting to get a MB until settled. Really good guy.

LoL BN. Just bought an electric lawn mower /tractor. Gonna put a solar panel as a sun roof/fixed so the neighbors think it is running from the panel and not a batt! Gonna be funny.

Uhggg! Can't upload the pictures. It's really cool. Can now at 3am on a Sunday and not get shot at! Has.. it's just really awesome.

Eric is getting us new forum software. Really good, easy to use. This software is ok but the new stuff is pretty amazing. So much easier and better.

Edit; electric mower link (just so cool!) http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-RM480e-38-in-Battery-Electric-Riding-Lawn-Mower-RY48110/300246266

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My pleasure,KC. And he is a good guy, you'll enjoy working with him.

Great pic! TY. Carol is not thrilled with the thought of a $3K lawnmower. But no belts,gas oil/oil changes and hook it up to a panel I already have. No nutting. Un-plug and play! LoL

And now we find out it can fly, snork

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That looks like a deluxe mower Dan. I've been thinking about buying an electric mower too, one of the robot kind that cost about $1000

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That looks like a deluxe mower Dan. I've been thinking about buying an electric mower too, one of the robot kind that cost about $1000
Honestly? How awesome would that be!? Kicked back with a beer or a cup of coffee on a lawn chair! Ya know a neighbor is just gonna have to come over and ask about it. Just sounds like a really pleasant way to pass an hour or 3.

And for the same reasons for any motored device. Lawn equipment, e-bikes and even my Prius. (I have never loved a car as much as this one. bar none)

An electrical motor has one main moving part as opposed to many. No need for gear reduction/transmission. I.E., less things to go wrong, brake, wear. No heat, friction, oil, gas, belts or obnoxious noise.

dnut

The 2 year old, $2,000 riding mower we are replacing is now a lawn ornament due to a plastic bit intrinsic to the transmission housing in the throttle linkage. The $*^%$* thing is in a gully of a horizontal surface that collected debris. So in frustration with it not going vroom on demand. I may or may not have stomped it to death. wut? hehehe

Ya need 2 NASA engineers to get to the part and ...... OK. I'm done. Just pretty POed.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
We are in the mist of buying a home up north where it's cooler.
It's 1/2 an acre all covered with our own well water irrigated grass.

I haven't owned a lawn mower of any kind in nearly a decade, but we are going to need one now, and I want my paraplegic son to operate it, he'd love it, do they have any foot pedals?

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Wow who'du thought, The best candidate for a motor bicycle build, turns out, is an electric lawn mower. Remember folks, you heard it here.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
We are in the mist of buying a home up north where it's cooler.
It's 1/2 an acre all covered with our own well water irrigated grass.

I haven't owned a lawn mower of any kind in nearly a decade, but we are going to need one now, and I want my paraplegic son to operate it, he'd love it, do they have any foot pedals?
Sheet. Missed this KC.

Riding mowers do but easy work around. What did ya end up Doing?

LoL, Kev

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Sheet. Missed this KC.

Riding mowers do but easy work around. What did ya end up Doing?

LoL, Kev
Nothing yet, it's still winter here, no snow, but it's freezing at night, so I will be working on improved wheelchairs indoors.
I am in a wheelchair most of the time now myself so we pulled out every stitch of carpet and put in hardwood floors ;-}

I have the footrests off and move myself around with my legs and feet. I don't put on shoes so my wife found me SOCKS with a GRIPPY TREAD!
Pretty cool ;-}
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=w_bl_s...3011&field-brandtextbin=Silvert's+Senior+Care

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
KC, a tech at a electric wheel chair place (like rascal or the like) Was telling me they have 2 e-motors. When they come in with a bad one, they replace both. So they have all sorts of perfectly good motors laying around. The copper alone has value but they are specifically designed for long, low output. Would/could make an awesome chair or lawnmower. If ya look at the Ryobi electric lawnmower, it's just an electric go kart with 2 e-motors.

Could, 2 make it uber easy, take an old go kart and an old pusher mower like a plow.... Be low though. Be a really cool DIY thing, me thinks.

LoL, what was this thread about?

Sincerely,

Dan *never on topic* Keav

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Could, 2 make it uber easy, take an old go kart and an old pusher mower like a plow....
Be low though. Be a really cool DIY thing, me thinks.
I can't do DIY's anymore, nor can my son help, he was shot being robbed and they turned him into a paraplegic, he can't feel or control anything below his arm pits.

He will probably never walk again and I already am wheelchair bound too, so we simply can't build something despite having a pretty sweet new man cave in an enclosed detached 2-car garage ;-}

Our new house has a pretty big grass yard so I think I'm gonna buy this.

Craftsman Briggs & Stratton 42 in.
Riding Lawn Tractor
724 cc 22 hp Electric Start

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=98103706

Something already built to play with, that will work to get my son on a new machine so I always have a nice yard watered free from our well ;-}

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That's the mower I had as second choice.
Those zero turn ones are awesome and make it easier.

Wish we were closer so I could help out.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That's the mower I had as second choice.
Those zero turn ones are awesome and make it easier.
This is another choice I like.

19 HP Kohler V Twin Gas Hydrostatic Zero-Turn
Riding Mower.

I guess it takes that big V2 engine to push that Hydrostatic axle, I wonder if one wheel goes backwards?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks for letting me talk about other things than "The Perfect Bike to Motorize" in this topic Dan, besides, we answered that ;}
my server is down to it moving to a home made 'computer room' in Norway so it still may be down a day or two more.

I am not complaining, I have remote access to a kick ass NT internet server on a 1GB fiber line for free ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The 2 year old, $2,000 riding mower we are replacing is now a lawn ornament due to a plastic bit intrinsic to the transmission housing in the throttle linkage.
What brand Dan?
I will be buying one this year.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Don't remember but Home depot stopped selling that series. It was a tractor. Not a zero turn, that died.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Don't remember but Home depot stopped selling that series. It was a tractor. Not a zero turn, that died.
Bummer about your tractor but it's not what I'm getting ;-}

I think I'll get price break as soon as Easter, but they may hold off for spring for a sale.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I tend to agree with that assessment as long as it's understood that almost everything besides the frame will probably have to be replaced.[/QUOTE]

I suppose so, Bik, but much depends on how one wants to use that bike. I want a
bike with range & the ability to go anywhere even under pedal power alone. Gotta
have a steel frame, & as you said, since everything needs to be changed, it's gotta
be cheap. 'Craigslist'. It may require the patience of Job, but what you're looking
for will turn up at price that makes upgrades practical. I scored near-new
condition, chromo, '93 Giant Boulder with shox for $35. 1st pic is the actual CL
listing. Here it is with a 9spd 32/11, trigger shifts, custom 50/40/26 chainring,
beach or backwoods ready. It's 9 pds lighter than my Juiced Bikes CCS.
(which I love as an electric commuter, but it has limitations.)

Attachments