New BTR, Need Wheels, Ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

jazz2561

Sep 20, 2012
Huntsville, AL
BOYGOFAST, the bike that I have built now is completely custom, frame up. The only bicycle parts on the bike is the head tube, front fork (not for long), stem, handlebars and wheels.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
a bicycle frame is just that loading DOT approved wheels and tires along with engines that weigh above the little 66 cc cast aluminum China Doll is more a gamble than not it would be better to have a wheel fold under the bike's frame than the bike's frame fold under the seat
I think the vast increase of popularity of motorized bicycles in recent years probably has had a lot to do with he easy availably of those inexpensive little Chinese 2 strokes engines.

But the hobby really can go way beyond that nowadays if you want.

I’ve noticed lately you’ve have made several posts about engine weight vs. bicycle frame strength, etc.... While I honestly do appreciate your concerns about safety I do know it is quite possible to build heavy, fast, or both heavy and fast.

Several builders right here on the forum have done so and shared their experience & successes.

In fact I’d put sportscarpat in the top tier of those builders (research some of his achievements). If he recommends something I pay attention because I know he has done thorough real world testing.

While I’m not saying I’d throw a GX690 on a stock Walmart bike with a rag-joint attached sprocket, with some additional gusseting, quality drivetrain, and quality wheels I’d certainly would load a 212cc engine onto a bicycle frame.

Sorry if it seems like I’m busting your chops, really not my intention. But to quote one of your recent postings- “I’m only being polite” in hopes of persuading you and other builders to please not think in such a limited fashion.

The possibilities are endless.

-Kirk

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
For looks, I can recommend the Felt Circuit tires. They are not DOT rated speed tires, but I have ridden them at 50mph and they seemed to work well. I also like the electra cruiser diamond tires in white.

But for handling, you can't beat the maxxis hookworms.

Hey Pat, I thought you have been using motorcycle tires on your builds? At what speeds do you run the hookworms?

Gilbert
I used to use the Hookworms on 200cc builds, then grew the bike into the Bonneville model which uses 21" motorcycle tires and rims. I still use the hookworms as standard on the smaller displacement bikes, so 79cc, 99cc and 160cc. The Quickbricks are just too thin with soft beads. The Circuit seems decent but not as good as the Hookworm. I have a set of Circuits on a 99cc four stroke build and like them as they handle well and do look pretty cool. I did just buy a set of these "Nola" Tires for a 200cc build. Have yet to try them out. They are heavier than a Hookworm.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251696011612?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I used to use the Hookworms on 200cc builds, then grew the bike into the Bonneville model which uses 21" motorcycle tires and rims. I still use the hookworms as standard on the smaller displacement bikes, so 79cc, 99cc and 160cc. The Quickbricks are just too thin with soft beads. The Circuit seems decent but not as good as the Hookworm. I have a set of Circuits on a 99cc four stroke build and like them as they handle well and do look pretty cool. I did just buy a set of these "Nola" Tires for a 200cc build. Have yet to try them out. They are heavier than a Hookworm.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251696011612?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Read Pat's post this am & ordered a pair of the Nola Vee rubber 26x2.5" tires after reading the info on their ebay offer and at just under $80.00 the pair shipped they sounded very impressive & like Pat & others have stated the Hookworms are proven excellent, but I'm game to try another manufacturer in the search for better. Rick C.