OCC Chopper - My first build

GoldenMotor.com

Racing421

Dec 28, 2008
Franklin, TN
The first pic is the "before", and the rest are after. I found Barry's special Chopper motor mount on ebay (he does a great job on muffler mods, too). All his stuff is bullet proof.
This grocery getter (OK, well a six pack anyway) has a fat 50 caliber ammo box painted to match. My local Harley dealer gave me the decals for the box. The box bracket was made from 1" flat bar and attaches utilizing the existing bolt holes in the bike frame.
I raised the handlebars 6" with a "horseshoe" made from the same diameter as the handlebars.
Any of you who know these choppers are aware the seats while looking cool, are extremely uncomfortable on longer rides. My next mod will be a cloud 9 cruiser gel saddle..............it should be here next week.
Aren't these things a blast to build and ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And we're all fortunate to have so many experienced, helpful folks always wanting to help.

Attachments

Racing421

Dec 28, 2008
Franklin, TN
I've been looking and bidding on used sportster tanks on ebay. I agree, the tank supplied with these kits is a little wimpy! I actually broke off a tank bolt trying to install, so I welded some real American bolts on. You know, the kind that won't cut with a butter knife!

Racing421

Dec 28, 2008
Franklin, TN
I found this old trashed Sportster tank on ebay for $10. The top gas cap fitting had been cut out, leaving a big hole in the top, and the bottom was junk too.
SO...................I just cut out the bottom and had the little tank welded in. Not being a bondo expert, I came up with the idea to use a CD as a trim ring. I just took a hole saw to the center to fit over the opening. I'll attach some pics of it mounted on the bike later.

As most Chopper riders know, the seat is very uncomfortable on longer rides. This cloud 9 contour seat is a huge improvement in comfort as well as vibration damping. It needed to be placed further back on the seat shaft, so back down to the Franklin welding shop for the mods to make it work!
Next to riding these things, just being creative is half the fun! Some of the unique solutions people come up with to solve problems is what makes all the members of this message board so GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Racing421

Dec 28, 2008
Franklin, TN
Oops..............Forgot to attach the pic of the gel comfort seat! The little ammo box is behind the seat is coming in handy as I have ordered a small battery (SLA) 6"x3.5"x2.5" to mount inside the box to rig up a switched headlight/tail light system.
Originally, it was planned to carry a quart of reserve fuel and a six pack. Oh well, the reserve fuel wasn't that important anyway.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
421, I Recently Bought One Like Yours, Low Serial Number, Very Clean. Too Small For Me But They Are So Cool.i Bought A "sofa" Seat For Me. 12.5" X 11.5" Gel, Largest Available That I Know Of. Nice Bild. Ron