Float Bowl Leaking

GoldenMotor.com

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
:-||Still running on my old 80cc gas chopper, has it in storage for a couple years. Now trying to start it and I am having issues.

-I replaced the magneto recently, cleaned the whole carb (needle, float bown, carb etc)
-I cleaned gas tank and fuel filter and put in new gas / oil.
-The throttle assembly seems fine as it lifts the needle when the gas / hand grip is turned

When i go to start the bike I can hear the engine is chugging and trying to start, but nothing. I adjust the air valve and adjust the carb hole setting to allow air in. The bike wont startup, and the float bowl is filling up with gas and leaking out the back of the filter.

This is the third time this month I have tried cleaning the carb and parts, needle, float bowl, gas filter etc. Each time the float bowl fills up and starts leaking from the bottom of the float bowl.

Any ideas outside of cleaning as I have thouroughly cleaned it 3 times. I have even taken out spark plug, turned bike upside down and pedaled to air out the engine as well.

Any help would be great to get this 2year retired bike out of retirement.!!!

Thanks greatly for any help and ideas

:-||

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If it sat long enough, you may have a corroded needle or seat. Or possibly some build up holding the needle open. Is the float still dry? Shake it and see if it's flooded.
Whatever the reason, your float needle valve is not closing properly.
This can easily flood the engine with too much fuel to start.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Take float bowl off...flip upside down...if the float isn't level adjust it so it sits level with the edge of the carb body...take 400+grit sand paper and lightly buff the needle...lightly...check to make sure jet is seated correctly also...

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
I rebuilt a ton of carburetors when I worked as a mechanic.

With the carburetor off the bike and float bowl removed, take a piece of new fuel line and attach it to the fuel inlet fitting. Invert the carburetor so the float presses the needle into the seat and try to blow through that fuel line. If you get any air at all through it in this manner you've got a leaky needle/seat valve.

I've never buffed a needle with anything. But if I were going to buff the needle I'd use something like a twenty dollar bill or if using sandpaper at all try 1500 grit. To clean out a varnish deposit on the seat I drip a bit of lacquer thinner on a q-tip and use it to swab out the seat. Do this two or three times and then blow out any residue with compressed air. Inspect the seat closely to make sure nothing is left on it.

To even out any irregularities in the seat, take a clean .125" steel ball - like those steel ball bearings in freewheels - and drop it down into the seat. With a small pin punch and smaller hammer lightly tap that ball then remove it.

Make sure that there is no sticking or side to side play when you check the float level. I made a new float pivot shaft with a piece of 14 ga bicycle spoke. Worked perfectly on the carburetor on my Honda 50cc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
7 days, no response. Maybe the OP figured out his problem. However for those that might have opened the carb and afterward have a similar issue, take a close look to see that the hinge pin that the float tang swivels on is seated properly and not overhanging the gasket surface. That pin can, and will, slide sidways and can block the bowl from setting flush against the gasket.

Tom

Last edited:

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
7 days, no response. Maybe the OP figured out his problem. However for those that might have opened the carb and afterward have a similar issue, take a close look to see that the hinge pin that the float tang swivels on is seated properly and not overhanging the gasket surface. That pin can, and will, slide sidways and can block the bowl from setting flush against the gasket.

Tom
Good point 2door.

I saw this happen a bunch as a motorcycle mech. Don't know if anyone ever managed to bend, damage, or break the pin and/or carb while attempting to seat the bowl to the carb body, but who knows?

As for managing to break off one of the cast "aluminum" float hinge pin bosses due to "corrosion" well, I'm that guy!

You just can't be too careful...