I'm gonna electrify my Panther

GoldenMotor.com

vgirl

Jul 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So I have decided. I am gonna go electric with my '51 Schwinn Panther. It's exciting and it's a whole planning process. I'm not in a huge rush. I figure it's gonna take me a year to collect all the parts financially speaking. lol

I am not really technically experienced but I do have some experience with a variety of tools and can learn anything just don't throw a bunch of numbers and formulas at me. lol

Anyway my first questions are going to be about engines and brakes.

The Magic Pie 3 seems to be getting some good vibes here. I was also wondering about another kit I saw on this website

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/26-Inch-Rear-PRO-901-Conversion-Kit.html

The 901 is a little more economical price wise but I'm wondering if it will give me what I want in an electric. What I'm looking for is up to 20-25 mph max and should carry me 25-30 miles max.

Second what are people doing about brakes in the backend with these rear motors? Also is it possible to put disc brakes onto the 51 fork on front or am I just better off with drums up front? I could put the drum on the existing rim or just buy a new rim. I'm flexible with that. I'm looking for cost effective but I still want solid braking.

Oh and does anyone have any other ideas that could be possibilities electrically speaking.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Regen brakeing on Magic Pies works so good all you will need is a front brake.

A front drum will be great, look cool and you will be stylin' with a big rear and front hub!

Yes, a good battery will cost as much or more than the magic pie.

And, it's worth it.

vgirl

Jul 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thanks people.

It looks like legally I am limited to a 500W motor. I don't really understand the whole number game with these motors. I did stop in at an e-bike shop and their bikes are 48V 500W motors which it appears is the legal limit I THINK governed to no more than 32 kph also the legal maximum speed allowable. I see the Golden Motor Canada website warns that the 48V is for off road only and should be 36V for on road. So far I've only found info stating 500W and the max speed not a maximum amount of voltage. I guess this is all confusing me a bit. Am I correct in understanding the Magic Pie can basically be programmed to only allow a top speed of 32 kph? I'm hoping I haven't confused everyone here 'cause DAMN I'm confused!

Anyway I'm definitely going with the Lifepo batteries. Once I figure out the motor thing.

.duh.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
How fast would you need to go to out run a pit bull with rabies? That's how fast I want to go.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
vgirl,
I think you're going to be real happy with your bike. The electric rear hub is a great choice and I'm glad to hear about the regenerative braking. Wow, so all you need is the front brake? I, too, like the look of drum brakes. I understand from those who have compared them that disc brakes are better at stopping you. I think that's really critical the faster you go. If you're looking at a top speed of about 30 you should be fine with a good drum brake. You can buy a heavy duty Worksman wheel with a drum brake already mounted, but much as I love the wheel I have not been impressed with their drum brake for stopping power. I've had two and neither was adequate. I have a buddy who is not happy with his either. Sturmey Archer I have some experience with and it is a better brake than what Worksman is using. It is available in two diameters, the bigger of which (90mm)is more powerful and from what I hear is a really nice brake. That's the one I'd go with if I were you. If it were mine I'd go with a used moped drum brake in order to save some money and still get good quality. As long as it has 36 spoke holes it can be laced into a regular bicycle wheel. The French made Atom drums are quite good. With either the Atom or the Sturmey Archer you would need to have the drum laced into a wheel, as far as I know they don't come as a wheel with the hub already laced in. A bike shop can do that for you and use the appropriate length spokes. Since the wheel is being built I would ask for either 11 or 12 gauge (that's the thickness of the spoke and the lower number is thicker, thus stronger). 12 gauge is plenty good for the use you'll need and will give you a strong wheel. Normally most of your braking comes from the front wheel, so having a good brake up there is a great safety feature bringing with it peace of mind.

On my 51 Panther I have a Worksman drum up front on both the front wheel and the sidecar wheel and it is not adequate. I'm in the process of building a new wheel up front using an old Schwinn rim, 11 gauge spokes and a pretty large drum from an old Honda 55 trailbike. It is over a hundred mm in diameter and should do the trick. I have a lot of weight to stop between me at 225 lbs, the gas engine and heavy bike frame, sidecar and dog. I figure a little overkill is good.

I don't know a lot about the magic pie, but I had thought it was made by Golden Motor. Maybe I'm confused, too. Either MIke B. or Paul or BarelyAWake should be able to clear that up.

I'm excited for you... woohoo!
SB

Last edited:

vgirl

Jul 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thanks silverbear. It's always good to get good advice from experienced people.

It is Golden Motor. There is a Canadian distributor I'm looking at. I think kevy is just having some fun with me. lol

I'm good with saving money too but I'm bucking for safety right now. That'll make my friends happy. They think I'm insane. It's barely 9 weeks since I broke my elbow. lol They don't get me. ROTFLMAO

I'm looking at throttles. I would like to use Schwinn grips so I think that would limit me to a thumb throttle but I have an idea I would like to make it longer more like a brake lever. That would be more comfortable for a longer ride. I'll have to figure that one out.

I've got most of the paint stripped from the old girl. A bunch of the welds are in brass. It's a lot of fun to try to picture the whole process when they built these things. Oh and looks like she was cream and green originally. I'm going with cream and blue. Thanks for those pics silverbear. I know what the paint should look like. (^)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Just to give you an idea of the potential in the setup you're considering, I've an MPII @ 48V/1000W w/a 15AH LiFePO4 battery pack: http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/the-12/48V-15AH-V2.5-LiFePO4/Detail & with moderate, voluntary pedal assist on take-offs & steep hills I get approximately 30mi w/a 27mph cruise, that's mixed terrain w/a 200lb rider & semi-slick tires @ 60psi: http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Kwest-Commuter-Recumbant-Bicycle/dp/B001DUBSZM

Regardless of the wattage you choose to set the controller to as that dictates speed, I would very much recommend sparing no expense on the batteries and getting the maximum amp hours you can afford as that's the range (generally speaking, it's a combo ofc) - and I'd far rather get there than get nowhere fast lol

I would also like to mention the MP regen is wonderful for smooth rear wheel braking and because of that, I too very rarely use my bicycle's rear disk brake. I like it so much in fact I don't use the switched levers, I repurposed the MP horn switch to manually activate the regen braking instead and very often use it alone to scrub speed.

There's a catch though, the regen braking only has an effect down to a little more than a fast walking speed, fading quickly just as it gets there. This when combined with the bicycles front brake is almost unnoticeable - but it is an issue in hazardous conditions such as wet road stripes & leaves, sand and ofc snow & ice if you choose to ride all seasons. I don't use the regen at all during the winter months, it's engagement is just too abrupt and set to "100%" it'll skid (or almost) on just about anything other than dry pavement. I would strongly suggest retaining or getting a rear brake, any kind will do.

Jus' some thoughts, I'm no ebike expert as this is the only one I've ever had - but I'm so well satisfied using it as a year-round daily driver & commuter that all my ICE bikes have been permanently demoted to just toys, I still love 'em but I hardly ever ride them anymore: Ruined by an Electric Bike

I think you'll dig it, the b'danged thing never fails to put a smile on my face lol

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I have a nice front drum brake wheel I got from Husky bicycles. It is a Sturmy archer w 11g spokes on a hd chrome rim. They are in Houston I don't know if they ship to Canada. I would go with a disc brake for easier repair parts.

vgirl

Jul 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thanks kevyleven007. I am looking at all considerations. The only downfall for me with the disc is I will have to switch out the fork. I have to do a little straightening of the fork anyway so if I do end up switching it out there's an option.

I have a question about the regen braking. I drive a transit bus and part of the braking system is a retarder (no not the person behind the wheel lol). I don't know exactly the workings but it is something in the engine that kicks in and starts to work the brakes when the driver's foot comes off the gas. Sort of a pre-brake brake. It won't stop the vehicle by itself unless you've got a lot of room to stop but is more an assist and probably helps to start the slowing process quicker since airbrakes are a little slower process. Is that a similar thing?