Stopped starting today

GoldenMotor.com

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
My bike has always started. In fact it starts so well that if I lift up the back tire and push the pedals it'll start immediately. So yesterday morning I rode up to campus, went to class for an hour.5 and then hopped on the bike and rode off maybe 100feet. I was comin to a red light so I pulled the clutch and it died.. Tried starting it again but it was no good.

What could die that randomly? It was rainy the day before but it ran strong through it and the morning after when it was all sunshine.

I'm thinking maybe the stock spark wire+boot lost a connection somewhere. It was in pretty bad condition anyway. I had a SBP wire+boot that I had ordered recently but hadn't put on yet so I tried doing that but I'm not sure if it's making proper contact because I don't have the "ball" top over the threads of the sparkplug. I say that because I still had no spark. I had taken it out and put it on the head for the ground, spun the pedals and no dice. I disconnected the kill switch and nothing. Took a look at the magneto and it looks just fine, no wire fallen off. The white wire isn't shorted on anything.

So what do you think? Replace the whole electrical system or maybe my sparkplug is fouled and simply needs to replaced? (also so that I'll have the correct ball thing on the top of it.)

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I thought that too but thought it was weird that it happened after the rain was gone and already ran fine that sunny morning. I suppose I should just replace the whole electrical system. It's only 30 bucks

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Replace the spark plug boot! You'll get much better engine consistency and better spark.

You can get a set of car ones from an old GMC fan for 20 bucks at Advance Auto. You'll have plenty of spare wires too!

Exact model are: plug wires for '94 Chevy Astro Van or the '95 GMC Safari.

They have the shorter right angle connectors. Most modern, especially Asian cars, have long (4-6 inch) boots on the end. Kind of a hassle to use.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I did replace the boot+wire. With the one from sbp. But I read that it doesn't work over the threads of a sparkplug and you need that thing that you unscrew on the top. I figured it would atleast give me a few puffs even with the screw part so I don't think the plug portion of the electrics is at fault.

Are all magneto's the same for this engine? Or do some only fit certain engines