Won't idle - feels so weak

GoldenMotor.com

rj_tripp

Aug 13, 2012
Southern California
49cc 2 stroke

I've been breaking in my motor and am on the third gallon and just switched from 20:1 to 28:1 off an empty tank. The bike was running great for 20 minutes and got me to the store. Started the bike again upon leaving the store, but now it-

-won't idle (at all)
-takes forever to reach top speed even at full throttle, just feels really weak
-lurches when holding at any speed (constantly gaining and losing muscle)

This is my first bike so I want to get as much input as possible before I start messing with it..zpt

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Check that your choke lever is closed- I've done that several times when it gets brushed up- " WTF?" I went all around town barely running, then found I'd brushed the choke lever

If that's not it- maybe an air leak at the intake-

also feel around the motor for air when it's running- may be leaking at the head gasket.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Sounds a lot like the choke to me too. I've been there. Had to replace the choke nut with a nyloc nut because it kept loosening up and the engine would start choking.

BTownBiker

Mar 30, 2012
Los Angeles
2011 66cc Grubee skyhawk

Im having a similar problem. My engine was breaking in fine for a while but on one ride my choke lever assembly rattled loose and I lost a couple small pieces on the road. So now when I start up it runs great for like three or four seconds then I slowly lose power until it just boggs out. I live in Los Angeles and it NEVER gets cold here so I was wondering if there is a way to just completely remove the choke?

Also I took off the air filter so i could look into the carb to see how it works. when the choke is off should the little plug bobber thing on the end of the choke cable be pushed all the way down or should it be pulled all the way up?

Im a total newb when it comes to engines so all your guys help is greatly appreciated.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The throat of the carb, that lets air flow past the needle and jet and into the intake manifold, has a little round metal plate with a hole in it. That's your choke . It can pivot down over the carb throat to choke the engine. There's usually a single screw or nut and bolt holding it on. If you're in LA, you can probably just take it all the way off. You might never need it.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
if he has a cns carb, it has a totally different choke set up than an nt. carb.
the nt carb has the choke plate on the outside of the carb throat that is visible with the air filter removed. it's just a plate that restricts the amount of air going into the carb....which riches up the air-fuel mixture.
the cns carb has a plunger type choke that is internal and it works the opposite as the nt carb choke.
the cns type choke actually adds fuel rather than restricting air (like the nt choke does).
for the cns choke, you want the plunger to be up (or open) for choke on to start a "cold" engine, and down(or closed) for choke off to run when the engine is warmed up.

Last edited:

BTownBiker

Mar 30, 2012
Los Angeles
I have a CNS carb with the plunger. Now i'm thinking that the problem is not the choke.

I may have some sort of a leak somewhere or something.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Oh. Sorry. If it's a CNS carb, you won't catch me claiming to know much about them. I should have asked which kind. My bad. I have read up on them a time or two, but I'm still not sure I understand all their quirks. I think I'd have to own one to really get it. (But I'm afraid I'm not inclined to actually own one. The NT Speeds are as complicated as I want things to be.)

BTownBiker

Mar 30, 2012
Los Angeles
Haha well thanks anyway. I think I found the problem thanks to BikeNut.

The CNS carb uses an Enrichener instead of a choke. So instead of cutting off air flow it adds more fuel.

When my enrinchener lever rattled loose, it made it so the enrichener is always partly on allowing wayy too much fuel into the carb. I think if I can find a way to permanently close the enrichener I should be good to go.

Unless it is used for something else besides cold starts.....

Will let you know how it goes!