problem with the throttel and clutch please help

GoldenMotor.com

pevo

Jul 19, 2012
chicago
my problem is that my motor bike top speed was 21 mph for the first 1 1/2 to 2 tanks of gas my gas mixture was 16:1 my bike is 2 stroke the i tried 12:1 and thats when i noticed that my max speed would be 18 mph and then it would go up and down and it would be bogging down my speed would go from 18 to 17 to 16 so pretty much it would go up and down it would seam that i would go fasted then slow down a lot so that was just horrible so i got rid of that gas then i tried 32:1 and it just seamed ok the first 2 mins of riding but then it seamed like it just wanted to die out so the i tried tuning out the carb with the brass screw and that seamed like it helped a little but then when i would pull the clutch in it would be fine and then i would noticed that when i would give it gas with the throttle then stop and then it would start to rev up the i would pull the clutch in and then it would rev up so bad that i had to press the kill switch to kill the bike but it rev so bad that it loosened up my carb screw and made it fall off i lost it no big deal i can just go to ace hardware and get it and does it have to do something with my carb i also wanted to buy a new carb and i wanted to know whats the best one out there to buy and whats the difference between them any suggestions

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello pevo, sounds like you were running way to much oil and possible also a vacuum leak. What carb do you have?

New engines take a little time to break in. They usually run better after a little time.

pevo

Jul 19, 2012
chicago
hello desolation and dave so 32:1 is fine and 50:1 and 16: is no good i and putting super gas in is that to rich and i forgot to say is that the engine is still kinda new and that when i went to shut off my gas i would go my full speed 21 mph then it would die out so i tried shunting the gas off 1/4 way and it worked but the when i pulled the clutch in my bike would rev up a lot so bad i had to press the kill switch

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
12:1 is WAY too much oil, 16:1 is quite heavy on oil as well, even for break in. Try running 20:1 or 24:1 for about 100 mile break in period and then switch over to 32:1 as your standard mix. After running so much oil I would check/change the plug if it has been fouled with oil? The excessive revving is probably from an air leak...

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
OK thank you and do yo know whats the best carb out there so i can increases my speed
What carb do you have now? There are quite a few carbs out there, the NT is the older standard, and there is the Speed carb (similar to the NT) and the CNS V1, V2, V3 which has become the newer standard on Grubee kits, there are also other carbs that some companies sell for these motors as well.
As for your speed, you should be able to reach speeds of 25-30 mph easily with any of these carbs when they are tuned correctly.
The NT/Speed carbs have a single jet and air choke, they are fairly simple and easier to tune, the CNS carb has 3 jets, the main jet, idle jet and the enrichment jet (choke) so it is a bit more complex and can be more difficult to tune. I run the CNS V2 carb and the way it is tuned right now it will hit 30MPH reliably. I didn't find tuning this carb very difficult, although some people will tell you "throw away your CNS carb" because they can be harder to tune than the NT/Speed carbs. Tuned up properly I personally believe the CNS will be a better performing carb. That said, IMHO you should just run whatever carb you got, just tune it up properly...

pevo

Jul 19, 2012
chicago
i have the stock carb right now i also was wondering if i was able to put a pit bike carb on my bike its a 80cc and is the carbs withe the air filters better

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
i have the stock carb right now i also was wondering if i was able to put a pit bike carb on my bike its a 80cc and is the carbs withe the air filters better
Well, "Stock carb" means absolutely nothing since different kits ship with different carbs. I dont know if a pit bike carb will fit or work, but there are plenty of high flow cone style air filters available for these kit carbs, and some of the carbs come with this better style air filter.
Maybe someone else with experience with pit bike carbs will chime in and give you better info on it, in the mean time you should take a look at your carb and figure out exactly what you got there. If you can't find a label on the carb perhaps post a picture.....

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
ok thanks does it matter if i uses super gas to mix it with 2 stroke
I always use premium cause when you are getting 135 miles per gallon it's not gonna cost you much.... That said, I don't know if premium actually makes a difference or not.
Do a search of the forum, there's lots of discussion about different gas mixes....

pevo

Jul 19, 2012
chicago
ya thats what my dad said to get he has a 48v 1000w front wheel electric bike but i will have to check out some of those carbs

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
pevo Welcome, :) Premium gas is to rich for these motors. Regular is fine. Want to go faster a Rear sprocket is a lot cheaper. A 36 T makes a big difference. Make sure your wheel bearings have lots of grease.