Chain tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeman08

Jun 19, 2008
Is the roller on the chain tensioner suspose to spin with the wheel, or just strickly keep the tension the chain???/ May sound dumb but i thought i would ask????rotflrotfl:p

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi 08; yes it is supposed to roll. keep an eye on that thing, it can move spit the chain and eat your spokes and put you over the bars. all of those have been posted here. search tensioner.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It is made to roll. Don't over tighten your chain (3/4-1" of freeplay) and it should pose no problems. You may want to add a set screw through it into the frame if your frame is small where it bolts on.

Bikeman08

Jun 19, 2008
(c)I searced "tensioner" and found what all were talking about. But i went to the TSC with the part numbers that were givin and i found nothing. I that any other numbers out there???

cdoug50

Jun 25, 2008
Maine
iI just found the part thru a TSC here in Maine. The key to finding it was to tell TSC that it was for a Baja MiniBike model #MB165. Good Luck!

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
I hate to cough up an old thread but maybe the correct SKU numbers for the parts will help someone looking for the tensioner.

Baja Motorsports Chain Tensioner Assembly

SKU 551023899 $9.98

Baja Motorsports Spring Tensioner

SKU 551025499 $2.98

As misteright says, the #551025499 Spring is really a little too light to apply correct tension. Any torsion spring that's a little heavier will do the job a little better. Depending on your mounting method, you might need a slightly longer leg on one end or the other of the spring.

Be very careful with the part name and number. I drove to another store to get the tensioner and when I got there they only had the spring. It might be worth it to go ahead and get the spring to have a pattern to bend a heavier spring to fit.

The TSC website shows the parts available online or in-store.

Good luck (p)
Ted

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
have you seen mine! I used a shimano brake arm that had a round torsion spring built within the arm made a new bracket with a single hole for bolt to pass through and several small holes around it for adjustment of spring tension. kinda like whats on a caliper style v brakes with a post mounted on the frame and the small plate with the three holes for the spring.(you know what Iam saying) and then grooved a skateboard wheel for the chain guide. just my own way of making something better that worked for me. FileStyle

Attachments