My skyhawk gt quit running!!

GoldenMotor.com

mpr455

Jun 27, 2009
lombard il
Got a skyhawk gt with nt carb. Have about 3 seasons on motor always had amsoil mix in it and it is almost never run at full throttle. I was out last nite and made about an 8 mile run from my wifes aunt's house back home. I topped off the gas tank and started out for a party about 3 miles from home. About a mile from home it started to pop out of intake (i think) it will not take any throttle and it will not idle. If you give it some throttle with clutch in it will run but will pop and sputter. I cleaned carb and all is good. It seems to have compression and spark. I did pull the mag cover and it was full of fuel/oil. Does this ruin the mag? Does the seal leak compression when bad? Looking forward to what you guy's have to say.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds like you blew the crankshaft seal behind the magneto rotor (magnet). It is not leaking compression but is allowing excess air to inter the crankcase and leaning the mixture. It isn't a difficult fix. Remove the rotor, pry out the old seal and replace with a new one. Several of our sponsors sell new seals. The left one is the thinner one, the right side, behind the small gear is the thicker one.
There's lots of good information here about changing the seal. Google search will provide it.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...ab=0&gsc.q=crankshaft seal replace&gsc.page=1

Good luck.

Tom

Last edited: