maybe a stupid question, but.........

GoldenMotor.com

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
.......Which size spokes are thicker, 12g or 11g? I think 11g, but am I wrong? I want the thickest spokes possible. Im going to be ordering wheelmaster or worksman wheels from pirate cycles soon (at least a front wheel with a drum brake, might keep the rear wheel I have, its pretty heavy duty with 12g spokes and I already know a sprocket fits without having to grind or file).

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
i dont know about bicycle spokes, but when it comes to body jewelry, the lower the number, the thicker the metal. for example, i have my eyebrow pierced. standard gauge for an eyebrow piercing is 14g. a 12g barbell would be slightly thicker than a 14g barbell. i would think the same be true for spokes?

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
guess I was right then. It doesnt matter too much anyway. all pirate cycles' worksman wheels appear to be sold out, and the only other wheels they have with drum brakes are 11g anyway, so it appears I dont have much of a choice. its ok though, since 11g spokes are thicker. im gonna keep the rear wheel i have. that will save me a lot of money. i just need to get it trued at some point. its a little warped. im gonna remove the sprocket before taking it to be trued, and replace the sprocket bolts with ones from home depot and nylock nuts.