How can I fix my muffler end cap?

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I took a ride this morning, and after all that time I couldn't get it off, the end cap fell off on its own. I went back to get it, but right as I got about 100 feet away a street sweeper came and ran over it. Didn't suck it up but now it's all bent out of shape.

If I can get a piece of steel, drill out the right size hole and have it welded on, would that be a good solution? Would it have to be rounded out or would flat be just fine? Hopefully I can find a big washer that will work.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Most people find a can the same size and just chop it to size and screw it on, dosn't look as good but hey, it works. What you can also do is cut a flat piece of metal and just weld it on. Or the washer idea would work great too, just make sure the opening isn't too big.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I've heard about the can thing, but I don't see how thin aluminum would stand up to the muffler heat. I also couldn't weld it on, and I kinda want to finalize the muffler. In other words, I want to end the worry of it or parts of it falling off when riding. I just want to freaking ride already!

I will probably just go with a piece of steel or a big washer. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything about the stock end cap that was important to engine performance.