Automatic Bicycle Transmission (IVT)

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Seems like this transmission only runs from 0 to a 1:1 ratio? Doesn't seem like it would be very useful on an MB to me? If I was going to put a trans on my bike I would think I would want it to be able output a little more rotation than the input, at least 0 to 1:1.3 or so, so the trans would allow you a bit more rotation than the motor is putting out? This would allow you to reach typical speeds (or above) for a mb without rev'ing the motor to its absolute max. This trans seems like it would make you run your motor at higher RPM to achieve the same speeds? Maybe I am missing something?

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
The thing is with this you could have the same size rear sprocket on the wheel as you do on the output of you engine/trans. That way if you engine did 6000 rpm instead of gearing down with big sprockets you could use this little thing and go as fast as the engine could possible pull you, have huge amounts of low end, and everything in between. This would almost solve the problem of not having a uniform powerband because you could just set up your engine to have a high but safe idle speed and use this as a throttle. Full engine power all the time. Obviously this idea has plenty of flaws but it is cool to thing about :)

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The thing is with this you could have the same size rear sprocket on the wheel as you do on the output of you engine/trans. That way if you engine did 6000 rpm instead of gearing down with big sprockets you could use this little thing and go as fast as the engine could possible pull you, have huge amounts of low end, and everything in between. This would almost solve the problem of not having a uniform powerband because you could just set up your engine to have a high but safe idle speed and use this as a throttle. Full engine power all the time. Obviously this idea has plenty of flaws but it is cool to thing about :)
OK, I get the picture, but not sure if I am onboard with the concept. I wouldn't want my bike to rigged like that I dont think. I would much prefer a trans that could ramp up the ratio as the load on the trans decreases, kinda like an overdrive. Something like that would be sweet and I might be interesting in trying it out. Even manual operation would be fine. Long rides at WOT would be much nicer if you had a gear to engage that would let you back down the motor rpm and maintain your cruising speed.