Vintage Schwinn Build - My First

GoldenMotor.com

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Its an old schwinn barn find ... I think a 60's cruiser but have no idea what the
model is (maybe a Tornado). I can't make out the entire serial number but its on
the rear fork and ends with 544.

Anyway, previous owner somewhat restored it 25 years ago and then it sat in a
barn since then. It was in pretty rough shape. Much worse than it looks in the
pictures. Here's my introduction thread since I am new here which explains much
more about the bike and the build with a few pics

http://motorbicycling.com/f14/hey-everyone-thanks-helpful-forum-32713.html

Every bearing on the bike is shot, and alot more rusted than the pictures show.
Here are a few before pictures. Build is well on its way already .. more to come later.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Welcome to the forum 59 Cruiser! I also like you love the old Schwinn's, they seem to be a popular favorite around here,,,, Here are a few websites if you need replacement parts or after market parts for you build. Check them out,,, 1) bikeworldusa.com 2) memory lane classics .com 3) bargainbasementbicycleparts-catalog Check out the prices & compare the quality you are looking for. Look in the picture section page 2 titled 1952 Schwinn Admiral & others also Red Hot Speedster,,, i can't tell you how fun & addicting this can be, once you build & ride one you want to do another!! Over & out D.O.C brnot

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Thanks for the nice welcome. Actually, my build is pretty much complete and I have been riding it for a few days. You are right .. addicting, I want to build another !
I can't wait to upload some pictures, I have just been too busy lately. I definately have lots to share about this build and documented most of it pretty good so that maybe I can give back a little to the forum. I'm going to try and post some pictures and info tomorrow.

Only one thing thats bugging me about it right now and since you also like old schwinns maybe you can help. The headset assembly on these seem to be a little different than the modern day bikes (or maybe its just me). Mine keeps coming loose. I might have the washer in the wrong spot or something. I need to double check it tomorrow but I thought I placed the washer between the two nuts as shown before I took it apart in the picture. Seems like I have to crank down the nuts really tight to get the play out of the headstock also (to the point where its stiff to turn and ride). I replaced all bearings on this bike including the headset. I might have to take the whole thing apart and check everything out better.

Attachments

Last edited:

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Re: Hi-Res pics Before and After with some Hints for New Cruiser Builds

Well ... bike is everything I imagined and more. Rides great!

here it is Before:

and now after:

Some of things that I didn't expect that new builders can watch out for and see in the pics are as follows:

- Needed a custom front mount
- Had to torch the cranks and bend to clear motor
- Had to cut rear fender to clear chain
- Had to bend coaster brake arm
- Had to bend exhaust
- My kit did not include a kill switch .. bought separate

Front Motor Mount

Fender

Cranks

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Old Schwinns rule!! (^)
Thanks! However I can't take full credit for the cranks since I had some professional help from a skilled trades machine builder at my work :) I pretty much just watched him do it for the most part. He's the in our company when it comes to metal fab type stuff.

We had to heat them up until they were super red hot ... I thought they were going to melt. He did such a good job on them that you can't feel the difference when you pedal. Pedals are perfectly aligned and even. It actually seems to have helped with the size sprocket I have in terms of making it easier to pedal.