Grubee Skyhawk GT2b Cyclinder bolts

GoldenMotor.com

junkdog

Jul 9, 2011
tennessee
Help, gotta a problem with stripped thread where one of the cyclinder block bolts fits down into. Anyone have a really cheap way to fix this problem? Other three bolts are fine, its just that this one is stripped. drn2

junkdog

Jul 9, 2011
tennessee
Hey Electric_sk8r
Finding out the way to go is with helicoil, gotta make sure the kit is right for the bolt thread though. I am not a motor head, but people I talk to say this is the best route, unless anyone has a better solution. Only one of the four bolt inserts is stripped, gonna work on it tonight.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
the first question is: Did you strip the bolt or the nut? On my bike I thought I had stripped the bolt but in fact I only striped the nut. Unfortunately I damaged the bolt when I took it out. the guy at the hardware store helped me buy cleaning up the threads on that bolt, otherwise I would be up the creek without a boat.

mike

junkdog

Jul 9, 2011
tennessee
The threads are shot in where I insert the bolt into the crankcase. Noticed a chirping sound and felt air coming from the head gasket around the one bolt. I could jiggle the whole bolt out, nut and all. I have to tap new threads into the crankcase. The bolt threads are fine. Going to try heli-coil, the b-tch is having to remove the other three bolts so I can tap the new threads. Hope the other three bolts hold up to being backed out and screwed back in.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
While you have things taken apart you might think about upgrading your hardware I don't know if they make stronger head bolts, but I think they do. (check Sick Bike Parts)

What I did to take out other bolts was to double bind one nut on another and use the bottom one to unscrew the bolts for my the intake and exhaust hardware.

One more thing to watch out for is to see that you get a new bottom end gasket and check to make sure that the bottom is well sealed. I had a leak in mine and it made a big mess until I got it fixed.

Mike

Electric_sk8r

Jul 26, 2011
United States
While you have things taken apart you might think about upgrading your hardware I don't know if they make stronger head bolts, but I think they do. (check Sick Bike Parts)

What I did to take out other bolts was to double bind one nut on another and use the bottom one to unscrew the bolts for my the intake and exhaust hardware.

One more thing to watch out for is to see that you get a new bottom end gasket and check to make sure that the bottom is well sealed. I had a leak in mine and it made a big mess until I got it fixed.

Mike
Yeah i actually had this stripped threading in the crankcase since i went and replaced my first head gasket and surprisingly the next one didn't blow for like 2- 3 weeks! But it did recently but i ordered copper plates .020" thick cut to the same dimension of the head gasket. I then drilled holes for the head studs and was left with the big: How am i going to drill the middle hole for the piston? Well i have no tools, so i drew the circle and sanded it with a Dremel for a few hours until i got the desired size hole. The gasket is now on but the thread it even worst then before and squealing like crazy. But the compression even with the larger leak seemed better then ever (but i'm not using it until i fix the thread in the crankcase). So i have the Grubee GT2 with the 6m studs and also got the SBP studs (they are nice) and i ordered the Heli coil 6m kit (i hope it has a tap with it cause the kit claims to have every thing you need for the job [it better]). I was wondering if that was the correct Heli Coil kit for a 6m stud (i mean it should right)? Thanks guys

junkdog

Jul 9, 2011
tennessee
6m on the helicoil should be right, but I would ask some motorhead about that, I am new to this, and I asked the same question to different people and got different answers back. Needless to say I installed helicoil but now have issues with getting cyclinder jug back down over piston. Crap, 300 miles into bike and starting to have issues.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
OK now the next part. Its not so tuff to get the cylinder on. First line up the open space in the rings to the steel pins in the cylinder. Usually you can compress the rings with your fingers so they just slid in. I like to spray he piston with triflow so that it slips down.

the rings are set up so that the gap is staggered or you wouldn't have any compression.

I also hate those little clips that hold the piston stud in place I had a engine let go of those little guys and come to an untimely end, so be careful.

mike

Electric_sk8r

Jul 26, 2011
United States
yup the piston over the cylinder took some tinkering but i got it, as well as a successful Heli coli repair job. The whole process felt very professional (especially with this being my first build). I wasn't sure what oil to use for drilling into the crankcase, so i just used the good ol' 2-stroke oil lol. But i'm not new to mopeds i used to have a 1980's Batavus. But yeah finally got to try that copper gasket i made (see above posts) and the compression is sooooo noticeable! Runs really nice but is a bit louder, sounds more like a dirt bike now. (^) Also put a Dynamo Light set on (blew a light the first time, but i was going like 30 so it's my fault. DOn't need to be going so fast at night!). Now that i'm comfortable with tapping metal i think i may try a boost bottle soon. Also personally i want to start a build with a full suspension framed bike, trying to go in a off-road dirt bike direction. If you see any interesting CHEAPER ways of doing so let me know.