Hole drilled from the inside out of my engine! Help please!

GoldenMotor.com

KidIcarus

Jul 28, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Alright so, Attached is a picture of the aftermath. I bought this bike used and I don't know how well it was broken in or treated. I do know, the woodruff key stripped spun around and spun so fast that it drilled a hole from the inside of the clutch area out past the cover. My questions are 1: How does this happen 2: is it an easy fix ( by easy I mean cheap, mostly) and 3: How do I prevent this from happening?
Also the engine still runs, but the low end of speed ( 0-20 ) barely climbs and barely has any power and i have almost no idle.
Thanks, Zach

Attachments

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Alright so, Attached is a picture of the aftermath. I bought this bike used and I don't know how well it was broken in or treated. I do know, the woodruff key stripped spun around and spun so fast that it drilled a hole from the inside of the clutch area out past the cover. My questions are 1: How does this happen 2: is it an easy fix ( by easy I mean cheap, mostly) and 3: How do I prevent this from happening?
Also the engine still runs, but the low end of speed ( 0-20 ) barely climbs and barely has any power and i have almost no idle.
Thanks, Zach
You sure it was the key and not the bolt that holds the gear in place??? How can the engine run with a broken key??

Easy fix would buy a new cover. You can clean the outer cover and make flat, and glue something over it.

KidIcarus

Jul 28, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Sorry. You are both correct. It was the bolt that holds the small gear in place. Should I replace this immediately? Or will waiting a month ( for
My new engine/ build) be dangerous for my bikes health?

Thanks for your replys!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Sorry. You are both correct. It was the bolt that holds the small gear in place. Should I replace this immediately? Or will waiting a month ( for
My new engine/ build) be dangerous for my bikes health?

Thanks for your replys!
Replace the screw, tighten tight. Smooth out the cover and glue something either on the inside or outside to keep foreign materials from getting in. The hole itself doesn't hurt the engine.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Cause: the bolt worked loose. But, it could also be that it kept coming loose so the previous owner made the hole so he wouldn't have to keep removing the cover.

Everyone was right about covering the hole. But I would take the cover off and inspect it for dirt first.

Terry