4stroke Friction Kit, Anybody have one?

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Just recently got and installed this kit. This is my second friction drive. I am pretty pleased so far. Has a Hauseng 31cc. I must say it runs better than my 49cc Hauseng. Only have around 20+mi on it but it has had no problems. The Kit is of good quality and was easy to mount other than the engine. Was obivously designed for a cruiser type bike.
When mounted on a suspension bike required relocating of the engine mounting holes to level the engine. Not a big deal, just irritating. Anybody else have any experience with this set up?

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yep, from ebay. Have been looking at it for a while. I won the lottery(tax return) so pulled the trigger. The engine pictured in the listing is a 2stroke so bought on faith that I really would recieve a 4stroke version, which I did. This kit is above the average. The controls are nice. The kill switch is the nicest I have recieved in a kit, and the thumb throttle which I thought would be a problem is perfect for this application. The little Hauseng 31 is a great runner. Smooth, quiet, and a top speed of around 27. Pulls average hills with out assistance. The off set of the engine makes you think the bike would be unbalanced. Not the case except on the stand. Riding you have no clue. It is simple to raise the engine with the quick latch for no drag pedaling. This is a great set up, a reasonably powerful engine hooked to a totally rideable bike. Makes me want to take a trip!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Just recently got and installed this kit. This is my second friction drive. I am pretty pleased so far. Has a Hauseng 31cc. I must say it runs better than my 49cc Hauseng. Only have around 20+mi on it but it has had no problems. The Kit is of good quality and was easy to mount other than the engine. Was obivously designed for a cruiser type bike.
When mounted on a suspension bike required relocating of the engine mounting holes to level the engine. Not a big deal, just irritating. Anybody else have any experience with this set up?
I have never tried one but have a 35 cc Staton Robin Subaru FD

How about a link to the ebay seller?
How much did you pay?
what diameter is the roller?

what kit did you have with your 49 cc huasheng? Was it the model
with the clutch built in? Where did you buy it from?

Most friction drive sellers have a longer bracket so you
don't have to redrill engine mounting holes and still keep it level.
You could have added extensions to the brackets too
which would have looked better and worked better than having
the channel at such a steep angle. Could use a flat channel to
carry stuff or mount a larger gas tank.

Thumb? I use my trigger finger lol bam!
I like the little trigger throttles too and the Honda tillers came with them.

The Hausheng 31cc is a copy of the Honda GX 31 which was
superseded by the GX 35 cc.
I have a Honda GX 31 that I bought used for $40 off a broken tiller.
It is not on a bike yet.
When www.BikeMotorparts,com starts selling again I may get a kit and
throw it on a bike in about 20 minutes....
I don't know if the Huasheng parts interchange with the Honda GX 31
but Honda sold a lot of those motors.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wow! Livefastmotors. $299. 1.0" The 49cc is a chain drive. Looks are subjective a low center of gravity is paramount! I have trigger throttles on all my bikes(7) except my motorcycles, because of carpel tunnel. I have a free GX31 I fly on a large R/C airplane, I am well familar with them. Throw away!! My guess is they do.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
. The little Hauseng 31 is a great runner. Smooth, quiet, and a top speed of around 27. Pulls average hills with out assistance. The off set of the engine makes you think the bike would be unbalanced. Not the case except on the stand. Riding you have no clue. It is simple to raise the engine with the quick latch for no drag pedaling. This is a great set up, a reasonably powerful engine hooked to a totally rideable bike. Makes me want to take a trip!
Wow no link, eh?

1" roller = 27 mph at 9000 rpm

Yeah, the engines don't weigh much so you don't even know it is there.
It has been a very reliable ride for me, never broken down except for too
many flat tires.....

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Sorry about the link, a skill I have never mastered. Livefastmotors.com will get you there. Have not GPSed the speed. I was using a speedo temporarily borrowed from amother bike, which I have always felt was optimistic. The listed no load speed in the engine manual is 10K rpm, so the little HS is a turner. I believe it will turn more than the Honda it was cloned from. My experience with them is they are topped around 7500 atleast on model aircraft. But friction drives arent about speed anyway. The 1" roller is perfect for the real world where hills exist. If I lived in the flat lands a larger roller would probably be in order. So far this is a really great combination of a motor and a bicycle. The only real concession to normal biking is really having to be careful when its parked, even with a center stand.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I think dual supports in back would be better, a more even tension force applied onto the rear wheel, rather than the one-sided system shown in the pics.
Another Ebay seller of friction drives is BGF.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I think dual supports in back would be better, a more even tension force applied onto the rear wheel, rather than the one-sided system shown in the pics.
Another Ebay setter of friction drives is BGF.
I thought that too at first, but the single strut is robust enough. The mounting brackets to the frame are very stout. I expected them to deflect on tightening, like most of the brackets in bike kits do. These are so stout that you could probably break the bolts trying to deflect them. It boils down to the brackets keep the engine oriented and the strut is really only loaded in tension(good for a rod) when in the drive position. Its only under a 10lb load maybe when the engine is disengaged, so its never very stressed. Its a cleaner design, and very nice not to have to undo 2 quick releases.