Bicycle-Engines.com

GoldenMotor.com

trevpiee

Feb 2, 2010
ca
Edit: After finally getting a hold of them, they agreed to replace my engine under warranty. Overall I have been happy with my experience.

Last edited:

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
Sucks to hear since I recently purchased and engine from them. I wonder if that could be the clutch bell that Scotto mentioned to me, he said his snapped and he had to replace it, he would know better than I would.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
On a pull start utility engine such as these, if you pull the rope and feel very little to no resistance it is either the pull start mechanism is not engaging the flywheel or the connecting rod inside the engine has failed. Only once have I found that the flywheel had come loose on the shaft. I never found out where the woodruff key went for it.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Wow, sorry to hear all this. First off, I was wondering how you got gasbikes.net to sell you an engine, seeing as how you live in California??? They do not sell to California...so they say.

Well then, no compression. I'm thinkin' either valves are stuck open or you got a broken connecting rod. Since you said "the engine died, and slowly and quietly came to halt.", it doesn't sound like the con rod broke. Does the pull starter engage and actually turn the engine over? A little more info will get you some results here. That should take us over to the trouble shooting forum in that case.

On your first issue with the carburetor....your float was stuck and letting the gas overflow. This was probably due to a gram or so of fine metal shaving dust that's in the supplied gas tank. How do I know this? Not important, I just do, so get an inline fuel filter and install it, once you get the engine up and running again.

And finally, I've heard both good and bad expiriences from people that have ordered engines and such from bicycle-engines.com, sorry yours was a bad one. I personally have ordered an engine and subsequently have ordered parts from them as well and have had no problems whatsoever with that company. Hope things work out for you.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I ditto the good results from bicycle-engines.com. I have ordered kits, engines, and lots of parts from them with no problems. The worst kit I have ever purchased was the hoot gearbox kit from gasbike.net a couple of years ago. I anticipated the crappy gearbox, though, from reading up on them. The price of the kit was worth it for the engine, gas tank, and other parts. That kit came with the coolest looking handles that I've seen also, so I can't say gasbike was all bad, just a CRAPPY gearbox.

Criminal Lawyer

Jul 29, 2010
Bozeman
I purchased my first (and so far only) engine kit from bicycle-engines.com. I have had a few problems with it (probably of my own making, such as not installing an in-line fuel filter to begin with). However, I have found them to be quite helpful. They have answered the phone everytime I have called and has responded to my emails. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone interested in this whole thing, and have done so.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've bought a Honda + Stage III and a HS + "Honda" 4G, as well as several small parts from B-E.com. Any shoddiness of parts I've received from them I don't consider their fault, and anyway they are usually quick to make good on anything bad if you complain nicely. I will definitely keep bringing my business to them, I wouldn't hold their slowness on basic troubleshooting against them if it exists.

One has to understand that with these MBs, things aren't necessarily going to be trouble-free. There is often tinkering involved! If you see someone say they bought such-and-such kit and had no troubles whatsoever, while you had many issues with yours, they are often a somewhat experienced builder who might not consider tinkering a problem.

There are always Monday- and Friday-built parts, tho. And bikes laff

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've bought a Honda + Stage III and a HS + "Honda" 4G, as well as several small parts from B-E.com. Any shoddiness of parts I've received from them I don't consider their fault, and anyway they are usually quick to make good on anything bad if you complain nicely. I will definitely keep bringing my business to them, I wouldn't hold their slowness on basic troubleshooting against them if it exists.

One has to understand that with these MBs, things aren't necessarily going to be trouble-free. There is often tinkering involved! If you see someone say they bought such-and-such kit and had no troubles whatsoever, while you had many issues with yours, they are often a somewhat experienced builder who might not consider tinkering a problem.

There are always Monday- and Friday-built parts, tho. And bikes laff
I think the Aleman said it well here, this is also how I feel and have referred two of the above posters here based on my expirience so far. And I will continue too recommend them, as I already have, to anyone else that inquires. So far, so good!

I know it's hard sometimes, but being polite can make a HUGE difference in the way your treated when dealing with real people in the real world......just remember that. Now git on yer bike n ride!

dnut.wee..wee.dnut

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I ordered a 4G HS kit from Bicycle engines and had the exact same problems! lol. First, these carburetors can have some dust in them from the factory, and this can cause the float to stick. I had a similar problem also where the engine just shut off and the bike came to a slow stop. It turns out that some dust had gotten into the magneto and was keeping the engine from sparking. After cleaning that, the engine ran better than ever. When I tried pull-starting the engine when this occured it did seem like it didn't have much compression but fortunately that wasn't the case.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I really enjoy doing business with BE. Have always found them to be right there for any problems. Once, on the phone with a clutch problem I had been trying to figure out here. BirdDog had seen my posts and said he would send a new bell out. It arrived priority mail soon after. I highly recommend them and often do. (I keep a list with me for when folks ask; "where can I get one?")

Is a bummer when these things get you pulling yer hair out. Some great advise above. Try not to let the frustration get to ya.