novice builder

GoldenMotor.com

mrjazper

May 12, 2010
delaware
hello all, trying to figure out how to install the sprocket for my motor kit. finally got the sprocket under the coaster brake by taking off the axle and putting the sprocket on under it. (if that makes sense). My first question is, is the center hole of the sprocket supposed to fit flush? Mine does not, it is basically the same size.:-||

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
You can either leave off the dust cover(sprocket fits on perfect without it) or grind dust cover then put sprocket on.

Heres a hint,if you loosen the nut holding the brake arm on the axle with the brakearm still on bike then take off wheel the nut and arm come off without removing the axle.

mrjazper

May 12, 2010
delaware
Thanks Cabinfever........I read somewhere that if done, wrong removing the dustcover renders your coaster brake useless. Since I am a novice, would it just be easier to have the sprocket hole drilled wider? I guess it won't hurt to mention I'm trying to do this on the Schwinn Delran cruiser.....

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
If the dust cover comes off easy, then it doesnt do anything but keep dirt out of the bearings,your coaster brake will work with or without it, but don't force it off cause on some bikes it might not be removable.
The dust covers i have seen were just a thin round piece of tin that comes right off easy. Most people either remove and toss the cover or grind the cover down so sprocket fits over it, the cover is like tin and easy to file down, the sprocket hole can also be made larger but is made out of heavy steel and has to be kept round or you will have sprocket wobble and chain loosening and tightening.

I'll let you decide which one you think you can do.

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
mrjasper,

If you are able to, snap a photo.... every bike is going to be a little different... Definitely take your time on this part of the installation.... if done wrong you will either NEVER be happy/get it running, or might even hurt yourself....

.... as for being flush... sometimes they are... sometimes they aren’t.... this is where flipping your sprocket (to stick further out, or further in) is going to come into play....

Is it not flush as in it sticks out further or further in? you may have to change the placement of your rubber spacers.... I’ve had some cruisers have to have both on the inside.... Little tip... get it about half way done, and put it back on the bike to see if it looks like it might work without hitting your tire or frame.... good luck man