Muffler Cap fell off.. interesting

GoldenMotor.com

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Greetings fellow Motorbicyclists. Not a tip per se, just wanted to share what happened. I was breaking in my second bike build - just puttering around town, and something happened.

Suddenly my bike became, very powerful, very fast, and VERY loud. As it turns out the muffler cap came off.

Too loud for my comfort, but I loved the power and speed it gave. I replaced the muffler with another with a more secure cap, but I'm thinking driving another hole, maybe 1cm wide might add more power and speed to my build.

Thoughts?

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Drill out the tip like I did:

That's what I did to mine. Drilled it out as big as I could, then took my dremel and ground it down as flush as I could. A little power increase and sound increase.

When I want more power, I just take the cap off. I like the sound it makes anyway. :D

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The first time that happened to me I had just noticed a motorcycle ahead, coming at me.

I thought, "Goodness gracious, that bike is loud.........Wait a minute...........Is it me?"

The second time it happened, the hot guts of the muffler went right under my rear tire and flattened it nearly instantly.

I've been keeping a close eye on my muffler since then.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
If you put a self-tapping screw through the tube of the muffler into the lip of the cap, it's less likely to disappear next time you lose the nut off the end of the muffler.

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
my cap fell off as well and i didn't bother to go back to pick it up. I just got two big washers that were the same size as the bottom of the muffler and screwed a nut onto the stud sticking out. after the first ride when it was still hot I tightened the sh!t out of it and it's stayed in place ever since. cheap fix

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Greetings fellow Motorbicyclists. Not a tip per se, just wanted to share what happened. I was breaking in my second bike build - just puttering around town, and something happened.

Suddenly my bike became, very powerful, very fast, and VERY loud. As it turns out the muffler cap came off.

Too loud for my comfort, but I loved the power and speed it gave. I replaced the muffler with another with a more secure cap, but I'm thinking driving another hole, maybe 1cm wide might add more power and speed to my build.

Thoughts?
Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago riding along and all of a sudden BRAAAAAAAAAAAA POPOPOPOP BRAAAAWWWNNN POPOPOPOOPOPOP .I figured out what happened pretty quick and was able to stop back track and retrieve the round end and even the screw and washer. I hear ya on the power but just wayyy to loud

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
My cap fell off on the way home from work last year, but I couldnt find it.
I saw how badly the cat was clogged so I took a 12" long 1/4" drill bit and put 5 holes all the way through it. Then I fabricated a new end cap from some plate steel I had laying around. I put 2 holes in the end of that.
Believe it or not, my bike sounds smoother and quieter with the cat drilled out, and the new end cap.
Runs better too.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I take it off and lose it on purpose. Loud Pipes Saves Lives. there is a honeycomb baffle near the top of the pipe where the manifold is welded to the pipe to allow enough back pressure for the engine,especially if the pipe is older and a little clogged. I'll try to find a pic of the shorty pipe I ran untill it was so burned out it was shooting fire. Already used the pic here.....http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=48266&page=3... And they dont let ya use a pic twice for some reason. POST 21

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Just remember that the vibration is also trying to loosen every fastner on your bike --- not just the muffler cap!! Check the tightness of all fastners periodically.