Good deals or not

GoldenMotor.com

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
It's the CNS carb. I haven't any experience with them, but from what I hear, they're no better than stock. Some have said they've had a worse time trying to tune them than the stock NT carb.

In reality, almost any carb is probably not worth the money and time. They run pretty damn well on the NT carb as it is. Even with other extensive modifications, the NT is plenty sufficient. Save the money and get a good head (CR machine) and a nice expansion chamber exhaust if you want more power. Then re-jet the carb. And don't forget, do this after getting the engine broken in (3-4 tanks of fuel). And, while there's a big debate on how much oil for the mix, I recommend 24:1 for break in and 36 or 40:1 for after break in.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto, what Agreen said. Don't waste your money on that carb. You'll get better performance from the stock NT without the tuning hassles that are inherent with the CNS.

Ignore terms like 'high performance', 'speed', 'race' and the rest of those marketing hype claims. Tune the old NT right and you'll be better off and saved money too.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
thats an RT carb not a CNS
look at the pic, says RunTong right on it
I didn't even look at the link. All I saw was "racing" and that told me all I needed to know. Whenever a vendor uses those terms they're trying to sell to the uninformed and the uninformed need to know the truth. The kit supplied NT carb will deliver all the performance a stock engine can provide. I don't care what 'buzz word' is attached to an aftermarket part, or who is selling it.

Tom

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I didn't notice that either. Still, I wouldn't buy it.

Now, I did my research on carburetors and I really couldn't get a straight answer on whether the RT or CNS had a true idle mixture adjustment. I found that the CNS has some strange "cold enrichment jet" that is super problematic. What I ended up with was a PZ16 carb. It offered a little more low end torque, but that may have been from the intake runner length change. There is no more or less top speed change. The only thing I really gained was a solid idle. A VERY consistent, solid idle. But installing it required fabricating a new intake manifold.

This was all done after all the modifications were already done on my engine. A very minimal change in low end torque, no change in top end.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have to laugh when sellers call them 'Racing carbs'! laff

The throat of that carb is the exact same size as the stock NT carb & won't make your bike go any faster. :rolleyes:

jMrL

Feb 25, 2016
Norfolk
I love it when s1 expresses their thoughts about something they know is wrong. ... Thanks again guys

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i admit, i fell for it too.
i have one of those, it's in my leftover parts box with the floppy rear view mirrors.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm very happy with my NT carb. Years ago, when I got rid of the crappy stock fuel line and fitted copper, then tuned the NT a bit, I got as much punch as I wanted. I turn the throttle - she goes RIGHT NOW. I couldn't see spending any more money on added complication for something with the same size venturi which more than half the people I spoke to said was a pain in the butt. I'm with Norm; I don't think the "race" carb will make you any happier.