ALMOST ready for a test ride, BUT...

GoldenMotor.com

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
a couple of questions first...my friends bike has 4 wires (3 + ground) on his kill switch, and I have a black ground wire & a red wire. When I was a young lad red meant hot, but I have black, blue, & white coming off of my mag. The black & blue connect to the coil....how do I wire up this *&^%^$ kill switch? Also, I think I hooked the throttle cable to my carb wrong. I have almost no movement in my cable. Maybe a 16th of a turn on the throttle. Does anyone have a pic, drawing or photo, of the correct way to connect the cable to the carb? I could try to explain in words the way I hooked it up, but I would probably just confuse the issue, & I don't have a digi cam. HELP!!

Ride Safe!

Gonzo

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Your kill switch , just hook the white wire to any one of the two wires from the switch and ground the other wire. The carb, are you sure it slid all the way down ? It only goes in one way. I'd start with that , let us know.

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
OK, the engine fired right up & sounded great...the rest of my problems, not so good, lol. The kill switch doesn't kill. I hooked the red wire to the white wire coming off the mag & the ground to the frame. The carb is stuck on WOT. When I twist the throttle, the entire cable housing moves, but I have no throttle control. I am being defeated by a few cents worth of plastic. GRRR! The bike looks pretty cool sitting in my driveway though, lol. I realize I am going to screw up all of this terminology, but here goes...when I remove the "cap" from the top of the carb, the throttle cable moves just fine, and the hollow "plunger" & needle valve slide up & down no prob. When I put it back together it's WOT time. Any help would be appreciated. Any Tucsonans make house calls? OK, just kidding. Seriously, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Ride Safe!

Gonzo

PS: the screw/guide for the cable that goes into the "cap" (could someone supply me with the proper word?) is threaded all of the way down/in. I am going to try to thread it up/out right now.

Last edited:

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
When you take the cap of the carb out, look at the slide, it has two little bumps on it, one is lower then the other, if you look inside the carb you'll see two little grooves, match those up and your throttle should work fine. Basically just turn the slide around.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
sounds like the spring is not returning the slide to the bottom. yes the nip and grooves have to line up take the air cleaner off remove the carb from the bike and take the cap off the carb. be sure to drain it first. then check the line up one side of the slide is curved that should face the air cleaner.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
For the kill switch and assuming you have a 2-stroke...

Wire the black wire from the motor to the black wire on the CDI AND the black wire from the kill switch (forming a "Y" connection).

Wire the colored wire from the motor to the colored wire on the CDI AND the colored wire on the kill switch (Forming another "Y" connection).

The white wire from the motor is a 6 volt wire for powering something else, like a light, in conjunction with the black ground wire.

The kills switch, when pressed, forms a dead short across the CDI essentially robbing it of power, which kills the spark to the motor.

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
When you take the cap of the carb out, look at the slide, it has two little bumps on it, one is lower then the other, if you look inside the carb you'll see two little grooves, match those up and your throttle should work fine. Basically just turn the slide around.
Shadeslay, my slide is just a little bit different, but that was almost exactly the problem! Thanks a lot. I just took it around the block, it worked perfect!!!

Ride Safe

Gonzo

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
AM - on my kill switch the black wire has a ring terminal. That's not a ground? Should I cut off the terminal to wire the 3 black wires together then wire the red wire from the kill switch to the blue wire coming from the mag?

QUOTE=AslansMonkey;68894]For the kill switch and assuming you have a 2-stroke...

Wire the black wire from the motor to the black wire on the CDI AND the black wire from the kill switch (forming a "Y" connection).

Wire the colored wire from the motor to the colored wire on the CDI AND the colored wire on the kill switch (Forming another "Y" connection).

The white wire from the motor is a 6 volt wire for powering something else, like a light, in conjunction with the black ground wire.

The kills switch, when pressed, forms a dead short across the CDI essentially robbing it of power, which kills the spark to the motor.[/QUOTE]

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
If the black motor wire is grounded as well, that'd be fine. On my two mb's I just spliced the two wires together, however.

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
throttle cable/carb fixed, kill switch fixed, rear brakes fixed, leaky petcock fixed, test ride succesful...test ride was GREAT! I still need to finish the rear fender, then paint it, order fender braces, find the perfect headlight, mount the luggage rack, mount the taillight...BUT...the bike is ridable. Thanks to all of you guys for so much advice.

Ride Safe!

Gonzo