29" Rim Caliper Size

GoldenMotor.com

TN Crusin

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
Decided to try caliper brakes on the 29"r. Found a set on Amazon, Sunlite 61-79mm reach. Will these have enough reach for this rim? If not or even so does anyone know of a better product or a board sponsor that has something? Also getting a dual lever.

:-||

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
It depends on the frame- I run 700 C rims on a cruiser frame origininally buit for 26 inch wheels-

I have bult three such builds- It's generally what I'd call and most people call a "medium reach" that will fit, and usually if both wheels are 700, it fits for the front wheel- the rear triangles in cruiser frames can very but I've had to use a longer reach caliper on the back on every build- so you have to mix and match really. It can be frustrating but not that bad. Some cruiser frames also have drilled the hole through the cross member at a very odd angle which may affect it.

The best you can do is try to get an acrcurate measurement for both, and hope- if you're looking on the net- that you can get an adequate description.

http://www.porkchopbmx.com/Brake-Sets-Calipers_c32.htm

Got some brakes at this sight here that work well on my Huffy and Micargi frames - front wheels, and I use a shock fork. I think the are Dia Compe model 730- they look short here because the others are more for 26"wheels. An older 70 ish road or touring frame brake is usually about the right reach for the front. The883 models look like they have about the right reach on the rear for a cruiser frame with 700c wheels to me, and I have some experience with it.

The dual lever is a great idea and used one for years w/o fail here. Makes control much more sure.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I just looked at the Sunlight brakes on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Side-...sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=sunlight+caliper+brakes

My gut feeling is that these will be too long on the front if you are fitting them to a cruiser frame- you may just get them to work with the pads up all the way. You may have a back brake from the set that fits.

If it's a mountain bike or other frame I really can't say
Have you got them yet? Let us know what's happening.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BICYCLE-BIK...614?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd01f62de

These are what I have on the back of my two builds I swapped the center pin of other brakes to make two rear ones out of this aluminum set- very light and good quality for the price-

and then I have the Dia Come 730 models on the front- I got them in anno red a few years back on close out dirt cheap.

This build actually has 27 inch wheels - slightly larger than 700
r.ly.

Attachments

Last edited:

TN Crusin

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
I am planning on welding a plate on the back, actually my stepbrother, I'm not a welder or a mechanic. It's a huffy metropolitan 29"er frame, original wheels. Any more suggestions or experience would be appreciated. Going to hit buy on something this weekend, gotta get this back on the road