suspension fork on vintage bike

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Can I put a modern threaded suspension fork on a vintage bike without it choppering out? I measured my original fork and from fork ends to the top of the tube is 21 1/4 inches...do they make suspension forks that small? My head tube is freakishly long, like a girls bike, 7 1/2 " and the fork "legs" for lack of a better word are 14 inches. I guess that's small by today's standards. I would love a little spring up front but those monarchs are so expensive and I heard "schwinn style" forks don't work well for bigger guys.
is there a smaller suspension fork that won't chopper me out?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
They make full suspension fork for little 12" Tonka bikes on up. 14" sounds like 24" tires ...............Curt

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
26"
I measured from the fork end to the crown and thought I got 14 inches but that was after a few PBR's so maybe I messed up the measurements. I do know that suspension forks are longer overall to provide for the "shocks".
I got a nice wheel with a disc brake rotor on it and i would like to get a fork that has disc brake bosses. Monarchs are expensive and I heard springer forks are flimsy. My co-op has a ton of MTB forks laying around so I was wondering if there are any that will work...I guess the easy answer would be "get off your lazy tokhas and go to the co-op and look"

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
1" head tube or 11/8". I just went out in the shop and you are right measured a couple and they are 14 to 141/2"

I think there would be a market for 1" here on the forum,seems to me there are hard to find and guys looking for them. To replace there old stock ones.............Curt

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I see a lot of 1" and 1 1/8 thread less forks and I also see 1" and 1 1/8 thread less headsets. it looks like they are trying to attract the fixie crowd who want to put a carbon fork on an old fuji or whatever, I may be on to something. (No, I will not put a carbon fork on a MB)

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
If you come across a double crown fork, some of those can be lowered since the crowns clamp onto the fork legs. I know on my RST dual crown, I could slam it down a bit if I wanted to. Fork sag is a factor though as well, remember that when you are sitting on the bike, that fork will compress a bit from your weight, that'll be true on any sus fork.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Yeah, if you can find an RST brand one, they come in cheaper, I got mine in new condition on ebay for $25 + shipping last year. A couple folks around here have gotten them for about that price too, I know runnermike did. Just takes a little patience for a deal to come along.