1947 Saginaw Powerbike On 1947 Dayton Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Motor wheels and that sort of thing have always been an interest of mine, but while doing an internet search I came across this 1947 Saginaw Powerbike attachment.

The original article may be found here by the way: - http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/engines/post-ww2/1947-saginaw-powerbike/

What particularly took my interest was that this would be an excellent method of powering a ladies bicycle without cluttering up the step thru part of the frame. As many of you know I always wear long skirts so this makes this kind of motorised attachment very appealing.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Half scooter pusher kinda look. I think I saw a pic on that site link where it was like a trailer hitch to push in another design. Strange beast, small wheel on back so can climb hills OK? Ca't search the words in the pictures and only read some of it, but is that a torque converter CVT under the cover?

MT

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Half scooter pusher kinda look. I think I saw a pic on that site link where it was like a trailer hitch to push in another design. Strange beast, small wheel on back so can climb hills OK? Ca't search the words in the pictures and only read some of it, but is that a torque converter CVT under the cover?

MT
I really don't know MT, but with the age of the motor attachment I'd hazard a guess and say no.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's probably effective enough on normal road surfaces. The wheel is small to allow all that big American iron to fit on top, but the gearing will have been for normal road speeds.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
nice little scooter!

point of interest... that belt-guard very closely resembles what is used on a number of airless paint sprayer pumps...

...for when you're out searching for parts...
rc