Sportsman 80

GoldenMotor.com
Oct 16, 2014
Glendale, CA
Hello pat,

I have been looking into your companies bikes quite a bit lately and was leaning toward the 200 version, but perhaps the 80 would be more suitable. Does the 80 version have the stretched frame? I am 6'4" and on the mopeds I have, I feel its a tight fit. You also mentioned the 80cc version was CA legal and I am curious if 49cc is for 2 stroke and for 4 stroke maybe your allowed more? Do you have more info on the 80cc version as I did not see it on your site.

Marc

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Marc,
I am 6' 2" and fit my two 80cc bikes shown in this thread comfortably. A boardie is a boardie, though, and can be cramped for long rides. Pedaling while seated for taller guys is also a challenge. I am still pretty limber so I can, and do, pedal assist sometimes but it's really not necessary. The handling of my boardie is great. The cruiser also handles well and with the higher seat and bars it is easily pedaled. It's quite roomy and comfortable.
My current understanding of California laws has no mention of a 49cc limit. Not sure where that info comes from, really. The law in California states 3 hp max and not to exceed 30 mph. I also understand the law changes January 1st and allow up to 4 hp but maintains the 30 mph limit. The HF79cc four stroke is rated stock at 3 hp. With my intake and exhaust I would guess I meet the 4 hp rule.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Mick,
Yeah, this is a smaller seat. Not much smaller but I made the front section shorter. I put one on a Bonneville and couldn't get into the tuck properly. I am 6' 2", so need space even on my bigger bikes. I then put the older version on the Bonneville and it allowed a better tuck. Small bikes, small seats. Big bikes, big seats.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Been messing around with saddles, too. The wife was complaining about my expensive Brooks saddle being to uncomfortable. People swear they are soft, but she would disagree. Anyway, I tried a couple options and settled with an off the shelf cruiser saddle that was comfy but had that cheap looking vinal cover. I took a couple and recovered in nice quality leather and added my logo stamp.

Sportsman Saddles by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Sportsman Saddles by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hi Mick,
Yeah, this is a smaller seat. Not much smaller but I made the front section shorter. I put one on a Bonneville and couldn't get into the tuck properly. I am 6' 2", so need space even on my bigger bikes. I then put the older version on the Bonneville and it allowed a better tuck. Small bikes, small seats. Big bikes, big seats.
Pat, will you be making the smaller seat available for sale?