Front leaf spring, Girder or Truss Rod Fork

GoldenMotor.com

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
I suggest the book Early Motorcycles Construction Operation and Repair. It's able to show through text and pictures how a great variety of forks have been constructed. Theres even a seat configuration where the seat post has a spring system that further dampens the road bumps. It's printed by Dover publications. I read about this book on here and have enjoyed it ever since I got it. Hey the Reading Standard has built in hidden springs for it's front fork and the way it's made is all covered in the book. Of course the know how and the means to do so are optional if one chooses to do a fork project. It's interesting how a fender covers the front leaf spring and it's left half exposed.

LATER.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OH man Sinistar. Double duty idea. Springier fork and fender. Bowed around the tire, secured at the fork tips aft. Then on slats that pivoted up and down with the axle in the center.

2 birds with one stone sort of deal. Could be done with a brick barbecue, (bend flat stock) a small sledge and a drill press/drill?

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Hey all, Well I got some great info out of this post. Some exploded views of plans for the leaf spring fork and thanks Sinistar for the name of the book. I plan on ordering it this weekend. Yes, there are those that don't have the skills or shop to make their own stuff and some that have to buy. As to the post on Kiwi's front fork system - they sure can't sell may at that price. You can pick up a great springer front end from DNA in about any lenght for around $375 wholesale. I've used it on 3 Harley's with great results. Now I can, and will, make my own leaf spring front fork. Thanks all for the help. I'll get to the motor choice next.