12VDC system thoughts

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have read over all the posts on this subject and an electronics guy, I just want to bounce some ideas before I pick a system.

I need to put a 12VDC system on my bike to power the NuVinci fully automatic hub so I figured I might as well make it to where I can use good 12V lights as well.

With the hub I can't swing a hub generator so I am thinking a couple 12V 6W tire sidewall dyno's like this $17 one here Lights - Generator 12V | BikeWorldUSA | Bicycle Parts and Bike Accessories

Then fashion a 12V battery pack from eight D or C sized 1.5 V rechargeable dry cells.

I don't need the light much and the hub takes very little to operate and just kicking in one gen should keep the battery charged, but for prolonged night riding I could kick in the other.

Thoughts?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have seen many posts that say that motorbikes spin the wheels so much faster than the average pedalist that you will burn up a dyno hub or friction gen designed for a bicycle.
I have no personal experience with the generators, though.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I just used a small DC motor as a generator. It kicks out about 50V at full speed, not sure how much power is behind it, though. It did manage to burn out a small diode.