Cheese Head State of Mind

GoldenMotor.com

DudeManBro

Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
Hey everybody, My name is DudeManBro, but you can call me DudeManBro (unless of course you're a lady, in which case you can call me DudeManBro) I'm from Southern Wisconsin. I just got into motor biking although I've had the dream since 2005. I'm currently doing my first build with the Huasheng 49cc 4 stroke engine kit on a huffy cranbrook, which I was surprised to learn is a fairly common combination. I'm looking to get the best performance out of my engine and welcome any tips or tricks that anyone has to offer. I'll probably finish my bike tonight after work and post a photo of it. Does anybody else with this engine have any comments/warnings/advise?

Easy Skanking,

DudeManBro

usflg

DudeManBro

Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
Does anybody know the laws regarding legality of these "beasts" in both Wisconsin and Missouri? I live is Wisco but I go to Saint Louis University in Missiouri and I love to ride it there as well.

Steomi

Mar 23, 2011
Waukesha, WI
Here is some information that was discussed on the forum already: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=2454

Along with here: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=10673

This is from Lynn's shop in Greenfield. There is a letter from the Dept of Transportation on this page: http://www.custommotoredbicycles.com...ournal_article

A PDF that states the regulations: http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lc/publications/act/2009/act122-sb137.pdf

A list of sites for each state: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=7801

This should help out on what you are looking for.

I live in Waukesha and go to Lake Michigan a lot with my motorized bicycle and never had any trouble. I always carry the laws with me so if I do get stopped and they don't know the regulation I have them there for them. I also take the Glacial Drumline State Trail to Madison a few time, been stopped by a few people but when they call it in to their boss he always tells him we are legal and just to make sure I have my pass. Never got a ticket or any harassment from authorities. More questions and how to's, what it does and those type of questions. The harassment come from drivers on the rode who think they own it. So as long as you stay in those guidelines you should never have a problem. Might see ya around, been a busy summer.

Don't forget to add yourself to the map as well: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22627

Last edited:

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
howdy! its great to see another cheese head! just to let you know them statutes are out dated. the laws says the same thing, but the statute numbers changed, ill post the correct ones in a few

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
these statutes are current as of this month.

340.01(29m)(am)
(am) "Moped" means any of the following motor vehicles capable of speeds of not more than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind, excluding a tractor, a power source as an integral part of the vehicle and a seat for the operator:
340.01(29m)(am)1.
1. A bicycle-type vehicle with fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and an engine certified by the manufacturer at not more than 130 cubic centimeters or an equivalent power unit.
340.01(29m)(am)2.
2. A Type 1 motorcycle with an automatic transmission and an engine certified by the manufacturer at not more than 50 cubic centimeters or an equivalent power unit.
340.01(29m)(bm)
(bm) "Moped" does not include a motor bicycle.
340.01(30)
(30) "Motor bicycle" means any of the following:
340.01(30)(a)
(a) A bicycle to which a power unit not an integral part of the vehicle has been added to permit the vehicle to travel at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind and having a seat for the operator.
340.01(30)(b)
(b) A 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicle that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and an electric motor of less than 750 watts and that is capable, when powered solely by the motor, of a maximum speed of less than 20 miles per hour with a 170-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind

registration exemption

341.05 When vehicles exempt from registration. A
vehicle, even though operated upon a highway of this state, is
exempt from registration if any of the following applies
(23) The vehicle is a motor bicycle or bicycle, except as provided in s. 349.18.

rights of towns and citys on motor assisted bicycle laws

349.18 Additional traffic-control authority of counties and municipalities.
(1)Any city, village or town, by ordinance, may:
(a) Designate the number of persons that may ride on a motor bicycle at any one time and the highways upon which a motor bicycle or moped may or may not be operated.
(2)Any city, town or village may by ordinance enacted pursuant to s. 349.06 regulate the operation of bicycles and motor bicycles and may by ordinance require registration of any bicycle or motor bicycle owned by a resident of the city, town or village, including the payment of a registration fee.
(3)Any county, by ordinance, may require the registration of any bicycle or motor bicycle owned by a resident of the county if the bicycle or motor bicycle is not subject to registration under sub. (2). Such ordinance does not apply to any bicycle or motor bicycle subject to registration under sub. (2), even if the effective date of the ordinance under sub. (2) is later than the effective date of the county ordinance. A county may charge a fee for the registration.
History: 1977 c. 116, 288; 1983 a. 243, 288, 343, 538; 1985 a. 135, 197, 298, 332; 1989 a. 167; 1993 a. 246; 1995 a. 138; 1997 a. 27.
Cities and villages cannot license bicyclists, create bicycle courts, or impound bicycles in the absence of express legislative authorization. 66 Atty. Gen. 99.

*rules of the road
346.16 Use of controlled-access highways, expressways and freeways.
(2)
(a) Except as provided in par. (b), no pedestrian or person riding a bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle and no person operating a moped or motor bicycle may go upon any expressway or freeway when official signs have been erected prohibiting such person from using the expressway or freeway.

*rules at stop lights
346.37 Traffic-control signal legend.

4. Notwithstanding subd. 1., a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle facing a red signal at an intersection may, after stopping as required under subd. 1. for not less than 45 seconds, proceed cautiously through the intersection before the signal turns green if no other vehicles are present at the intersection to actuate the signal and the operator of the motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle reasonably believes the signal is vehicle actuated. The operator of a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle proceeding through a red signal under this subdivision shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicular traffic, pedestrian, bicyclist, or rider of an electric personal assistive mobility device proceeding through a green signal at the intersection or lawfully within a crosswalk or using the intersection. This subdivision does not affect any authorization for a bicyclist under subd. 2.

*special rules for bicycles
346.79 Special rules applicable to bicycles

(1)A person propelling a bicycle shall not ride other than upon or astride a permanent and regular seat attached thereto.
(2)
(a) Except as provided in par. (b), no bicycle may be used to carry or transport more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed.
(b) In addition to the operator, a bicycle otherwise designed to carry only the operator may be used to carry or transport a child seated in an auxiliary child's seat or trailer designed for attachment to a bicycle if the seat or trailer is securely attached to the bicycle according to the directions of the manufacturer of the seat or trailer.
(3)No person operating a bicycle shall carry any package, bundle or article which prevents the operator from keeping at least one hand upon the handle bars.
(4)No person riding a bicycle shall attach himself or herself or his or her bicycle to any vehicle upon a roadway.
(5)No person may ride a moped or motor bicycle with the power unit in operation upon a bicycle way.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I'm real big on having a bike legal. However only a few states give motorized bicycles a hard time. In most states if you don't ride like an idiot and obey all the traffic laws the cops don't bother you.

DudeManBro

Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
Took "The Easy Skanker" on her maiden voyage tonight. The result you ask? Officer pulled me over saying he didn't think it was street legal. Said if I could prove it was legal in the state of Wisconsin and let test drive it, he'd never bother me again. I sent him an email with the correct statutes, now I'm just waiting for him to schedule a test drive. ;) Nice cops, who knew? dance1

Attachments

DudeManBro

Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
So I was pulled over by a cop who though my bike was illegal (as you probably know from the previous post) Here is our email exchange that followed.............

Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:12 PM
To: Officer N.
Subject: Motor Bicycle Legality

Good evening Officer,

Here are two links I was able to find.

This first link basically defines what a motor bicycle is in Wisconsin. I'd fall under (a) and the governor (engine term) restricts my RPMs so I'd max out before 30 mph.
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/340/01/30

This link shows when registration of a vehicle is exempt. (23) is Motor bicycle.
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/341/I/05/23

From my understanding, this would make my bike legal.

Let me know what you think!

Best regards,

Dan

His Response:

Dan,

I agree the bike is considered a motor bike not a moped and you need to follow the rules of a bicycle. Look up state statue 340.01 (30) and 340.01 (29) there is not much of a difference between a peddled moped and a motor bike. I passed this info along to our other officers.

I still think your “motor bike” is cool as ****

Thanks scott

Officer Scott N.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Looks like you've gotten yourself into a 'win/win' situation!! A new hobby and the cops are gonna be with you!

Good luck!

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
DudeManBro, cool story. And even better, it leaves you in a positive position to be able to work with your local law enforcement "on our behalf" in terms of maybe helping them define and refine the laws.

Be ready to build one for Officer Scott, after his test ride. ;)