For you non-belivers- 79cc predator sent to California

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Woke up to this sitting at my front door today.
Ordered on 1/15 and was shipped on the 17.

Some said that it was not possible to order off harbor freight a predator and have it shipped to California.

But here is proof that you can get one, maybe it was a fluke maybe not lol

dance1

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Wow I called you on that one and said it could not be done...let me pull my foot out of my ***
Did you use a code for a discount?

It's nice to see that we can now get this engine.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
No I didn't but I should have lol

I just did it out of impulse, didn't really think i was going get it.
But when I saw the shipping confirmation email I was really surprised.

I think more people should know about this.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Does the shaft spin in the correct direction?

Will it need and does it accept anotherr gearbox like the other 4 stroke I've seen? I don't know- never built one-

It's wider than a China girl isn't it? It probably needs wider cranks. If you want more of a scooter than a MB, but Semi-legal at least- it looks like a good choice- but do you plan to lose the cc sticker?

They probably ship such a thing because it's not really exclusively a bike motor....

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Does the shaft spin in the correct direction?

Will it need and does it accept anotherr gearbox like the other 4 stroke I've seen? I don't know- never built one-

It's wider than a China girl isn't it? It probably needs wider cranks. If you want more of a scooter than a MB, but Semi-legal at least- it looks like a good choice- but do you plan to lose the cc sticker?

They probably ship such a thing because it's not really exclusively a bike motor....

It's a great replacement for the china engines.

Check this out: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44022

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Isn't the 79cc the California motor, everywhere else you can buy the 99cc? Lifan does the same thing with their new vertical 98.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Ok- I just looked at the specs on the Predator manual-

The shaft DOES spin counter- clockwise- or the correct direction for the normal motor sprocket left side

It says it gets 3600 RPM- anybody know how that compares to a china girl?- what kind of back sprock are we talking for say an equivelant 36 tooth?

For $99 this looks pretty good- I've seen the platforms sold separately, but I'm sure you'd need wide cranks- AND a centrifical clutch-

This is the same horsepower 2 1/2- I had on my Rupp mini bike back in the late '60s- I'm not sure how fast it went before I put a Muculloch 50 chainsaw/ go cart motor on-

but sure it didn't do over 30- a bike would probably go pretty well with one of these and the right gearing- a shift kit for certain.dance1

Attachments

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I know the ezm transmission fits if you buy the one for this engine. And as far as the popo knows, it's gonna be a 49cc... I already have 49cc stickers lol

I think HF discontinued the 99cc and replaced it with the 79cc, same dimensions different bore/stroke

And Nashville you can remove the governor easily and it allows the engine to be revved past 3600 thus more power.

As far as rear sprockets go, it all depends on what your primary drive reduction is.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Isn't the 79cc the California motor, everywhere else you can buy the 99cc? Lifan does the same thing with their new vertical 98.
Harbor Freight does not sell the 99cc anymore - only the 79cc. There maybe some 99cc engines available locally, but once they are sold that is it.

According to Otto's post #34, he spoke with Lifan Products USA and they do not have anymore 98cc engines which has been superseded by the 79cc.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44557&page=4

It doesn't mean Harbor Freight or LPUSA will not sell the 99cc or 98cc engines in the future. It's anybody's guess if and when they do.

The larger cc engines do have a California version at Harbor Freight.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I was just searching for a simple centrifugal clutch for it- they seem to start below $30-

but there don't seem to be any for a 410 or 415 chain- figures! Really tired of that kind of thing- all it takes is a sprock on it with a little different pitch-

don't know what an ezm tranny is- bet it's pricey.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Ohmigod- this is typically up the ying yang- when we can't buy a simple centrifical clutch that will fit that shaft- like I could for a mini-bike-

have a selection of teeth to accomodate a 415, and run straight back to a wheel sprocket-

capitalism at it's most French Provincial!

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
I have one of these engines on my bike. You will need the wide cranks for it. and to get the engine centered you will need a jack shaft. I am running a centrifical clutch with a
#35 chain to the jackshaft and a 41 to the rear wheel. I ride in some hills so had to gear it low. 11 tooth on the clutch, 23 from it. 8 tooth on the drive side to the wheel with a 60 on the wheel. I don't have a speedometer so have no idea how fast it will go but it climbs the hills ok. I set my engine vertical and removed all the sheet metal. It looks good and runs even better then it looks.
Before you do anything check the valve clearance, pull the side cover and remove the gov., and check the insides for foriegn stuff. Mine was clean but you never know.
It is a little more work than putting a kit on but you will love it.

Last edited:

I'm using the 79cc Predator. This is my first gasoline-motor-bike build, and from the experience I gleaned, I know how to make the next version better. So I wouldn't stick with the arrangement I have now.
However, I'm happy with the motor. I removed the starter cord mechanism, removed the governor, replaced the muffler, and surrounded the new muffler with sheet metal.
The engine starts very easily.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I bought a centrif for this on ebay for around $40 shipped...not gonna use it though....plans changed

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'm planning on mounting vertically too, seems to look good this way... I'm still trying to source mounting brackets and plate for cheap prices... I was thinking muffler brackets but I don't like the look of them