new paint job on my occ tank

GoldenMotor.com

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
this is the third paint job for this gas tank in the past 2 years.
the first time i painted it metallic black and left it that way for a few months.
then, i wanted something different, so I painted it a high metallic silver.
That looked ok, but it was kind of plain.
so, a few weeks ago, i stripped it all back down to bare metal and started over.
the base color is good old gloss black.
then, I taped out some tear drop shaped panels on the sides, and one on the top.
I sprayed them with silver & did a marbelizing technique to the silver.
here's how it looks with the silver after it's been marbelized. I know, it looks like a mess at this point but that's the whole idea.

once the silver was fully dry, I sprayed candy apple red over the silver. the red is transparent and it needs a metallic base color (the silver) to make it shine.
here's what it looked like after the red was sprayed on. (the black has been wet sanded in this picture.

after the red was almost dry, i removed all of the tape (i used fine line vinyl tape to lay out the tear drops).
after letting it dry for a day, i wet sanded the whole thing with 600 grit paper and sprayed on the first coat of clear.
here it is after the first clear coat.

after the first coat of clear was dry, i laid on a heavier coat of clear and here's how it looks as of right now.

once this coat of clear is fully dry, i'll do 1-2 more heavy coats of clear, and then i'll outline the red with ivory pinstriping.
The more i look at it, the more it reminds me of a black widow spider. Maybe i should have done hour glass shapes rather than tear drops?

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Excellent work, that looks fantastic! How long are you waiting between clear coats? I thought you were supposed to do them pretty much back-to-back, is is better to let them fully dry between coats?

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
Excellent work, that looks fantastic! How long are you waiting between clear coats? I thought you were supposed to do them pretty much back-to-back, is is better to let them fully dry between coats?
well, I personally wait at least an hour between clear coats.
you have to give the clear a chance to "gas out" (let the solvents evaporate) before you spray more.
the "gas" from the solvents can be trapped under the clear if you re-coat it too soon, and that will cause bubbles to form.
I don't go by any set rules, i just spray it when i feel the time is right.
I just do this for fun....I'm not an expert painter.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I don't go by any set rules, i just spray it when i feel the time is right.
I just do this for fun....I'm not an expert painter.
If that is your level of work for fun, your professional work in your chosen field must be phenomenal! I cannot wait to see the final product, but looking amazing so far.