Hello

GoldenMotor.com

Medicsgirl

Mar 11, 2012
San Antonio
My name is Vicki, or Medicsgirl.

I have been looking at getting an electric bike or a gas powered bike for over 2 years now.

I live in San Antonio. I have been googling the bikes for over 2 years, and have to admit, I am not a tech person, so much of this goes over my head.

About the only thing I know for sure, is that I am leaning towards the gas bike as I dont really have the availablity to carve out 8 hours to recharge every 15-20 miles on the Eb's.

I have a bike already that I can have some one put an engine on, but I don't know what kind of engine is best. I also don't know the best people to take this too.

I am about 1/2 way to my goal of having the money for the kit.

I see there has been events in my area for meet and greets and to do fun rides. Is there another event coming up soon?

I would love to meet other people in the area and actually see some of these bikes up close, and to have some of my questions answered.

I know I am putting a lot out here for a first post, but in for a penny, in for a pound? Right?

I hope to learn more from you all, and look forward to having my goal of a decent bike soon.

Thank you all for your time,
Vicki
Medicsgirl dance1

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Welcome, congrats to you, not many males can deal with a project like this, being a female, (and I have a sister-in-law that can) doing it is nice. One thing about you taking on this project...you came to the right place. My wife, she'd be good ordering, and open the box, but that's about it.

Last edited:

Medicsgirl

Mar 11, 2012
San Antonio
I am the same as your wife. My mechanical skills are not up to par, so I want to either take it out of the box, or pay a some one to do it for me. I want to have it by July.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Hello V,

Welcome aboard motorbicycling.com.

We don't have very many females here, so you will get plenty of advice and attention, if you wish.

and opinions!

A very knowledgeable and helpful group here.

I see no reason why you could not build and operate an HT kitbike, especially with this resource for resolving situations as you encounter them.

My suggestion would be to purchase the least expensive kitbike available and an inexpensive used cruiser bike off CL.

Tools from HF will suffice for beginner work on bicycles and HT kits.

Keep your investment down, and you shall most likely be able to recover it when you wish.

Everything costs.
I would think you could learn valuable things for your investment in this.
AND have lots of fun!

I feel gas assisted bikes are superior to electric, presently, yet you shall find they are NOT trouble free. It will require continuous attention.
There will be a certain amount of frustration involved!
Guaranteed ! lol

Never-the-less, MABs are quite useful, great fun, and economical to operate.

Good luck
rc

Medicsgirl

Mar 11, 2012
San Antonio
what do HF, and HT mean?

With my scheduale, I really don't have the the time for a build. It is better for me to have someone do who knows what they are doing, and they can earn some cash for my lack of knowledge and convience of having them do it. After all, supporting my new motorized bicycle community in my own "lazy" way. One of my driving needs for this bike is the fact I currently ride 3 busses, 3 hours one way to work, I work for 4 hours, then make the same commute home. By just plain bike, it is an hours trip to go 14.7 miles. I spend a total of 6 hours daily on bus. Hence no time for a build.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Hey V,

There's a bunch of helpful people there in the Lone Star Republic who will probably be along shortly that will be able to give you local advice.

Sounds like it would be a major improvement over bus riding.
I did that before.
it just leaves a LOT to be desired, doesn't it?

oh... HF = harbor freight a tool outlet. ur gonna need tools, if you build it or not.
and HT is 'happy time' one of the china engine builders just a short for 'chinagirl' ... as we also call 'em.

Not to worry abt 'lazy way'...
Whatever suits you is best! :)
rc

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here my guidelines for building:
1) Predominant riding terrain.
2) Lookup and read local legal requirements.
3) Primary rider's physique.
4) Budget.
Do your research and stay within these guidelines and you'll have a bike you can enjoy riding. Good luck with your build. My personal preference is 4 stroke engines. Low maintenance do scheduled oil changes and air filter cleanings. No oil mixing in gas just pullup to gas pump and pump.