BGF friction drive kit

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I got a BGF kit for a friend today and the shaft will barely turn so I took it apart to see what is up. Wow is this thing made bad. For one thing the mount that the engine is on is not square, so there is no way that the the shaft will align. The outside bearing boss is out of round so as soon as you put the bearing in place it warps the outer race and the bearing will not turn. Also the bolt holes are all that is used to align the engine to the clutch bell, so I know that is out of alignment. Also the adjustment clamp is just a seat post clamp in some sleeve with a shaft out the other side and no outer tube to pull all together, the threads just bottom out and are too long to even touch the clamp. I'm upset with this thing, I told my friend I would install it for free, It should have taken about 20 minutes to install now I have to find a way to repair all this junk, and it may not be possible. A waste of 277 bucks. BGF should at least run some of his kits and see if they will hold up. Have fun if you can, Egor

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Update, I hate to say it but it is actually worse again than I thought. Looking at the bearing bosses they are so out of alignment that they just hold the bearings out of square to the shaft. It has a portion of a pump or some other part to use as the clutch housing that is used to make the connection to the main bracket. On this part they just drilled out the threads to run bolts through to the engine. The bosses do not accommodate the idea, so as you would snug up the bolts it just compresses the parts. I think I am going to just make small sleeves over each bolt to take its place. I dont know who engineered this thing but what a mess, all the critical alignments have not been met. It is possible that the Chinese are trying to get even for something, LOL but BGF has a lot of good feedback on his site, so if I were him I would stay away from this kit. I can make anything work but this is a challenge. Have fun, Dave

PS: I hope the engine is as good as posted or I'm in trouble. I also hope this saves everyone any grief, if you are good at repairs, like me you may be able to get this thing working otherwise stay away. For sure is too expensive, if it were 115 bucks you would have at least an engine you can use, or at least I think you can use.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Still working on the kit. Used a press to push the main body square. Machined the bearing bosses square . I still need to make a spreader for the adjuster clamp. I used two of the extra bolt holes in that clutch bracket to pre align so as the have clutch bell centered. Still have not started the engine. Wow that engine has high compression and is going to pull start. It acts like one of the monster chain saws . I'll keep you posted on how this turns out. Egor