Hello from a noob

GoldenMotor.com

Joshfan

Jul 13, 2011
Arkansas
Hello,
names David and I am very new to this hobby, I actualy have not built one yet. I am planning on it in the next 2-4 weeks. I find the motorized Bicycle a very interesting idea although I wonder if one can go faster than 40 miles per hour? anyway I live in Little Rock Arkansas, married, have two great kids one close to moving out, if I can let her. I am 40 years old and hopeing this will prove an interesting and practical project.

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
welcome to the forum!! this motorized bicycle thing can really get you addicted!!!! There are motors and sprocket options that you can push to the speeds you desire, but always remember that they are in fact bicycles and will need to be checked frequently for structural stability. I myself love to cruise at around 20-25 mph. I still check nuts and bolts and such prior to every ride. You have come to the right place for getting questions answered and for some awsome ideas. WELCOME!

Joshfan

Jul 13, 2011
Arkansas
Thanks it looks to be a greeat place for motor bicycle hobbyist's and good heads up, for the stuctural check pre-ride I would not have thought of that.
rmfla

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yes, inked1974 is right. These bicycles are designed to be bicycles powered by a human, They weren't designed for the speeds and the stress that an engine provides.

Joshfan

Jul 13, 2011
Arkansas
Yes, inked1974 is right. These bicycles are designed to be bicycles powered by a human, They weren't designed for the speeds and the stress that an engine provides.
Thanks, you are right, just trying to come up with a practical way to commute to work sometimes. Would one that goes 25-35mph be ok for a work commute of 15-18 miles? I also knkow I should start posting my questions in the Q/A thread, so this will be my last question here. brnot

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
There are endless options for building these crazy bicycles! I see alot of great things on here every day. I surely wasnt telling you not to pursue your desire to cruise at 40mph speeds, I was just giving you a heads up of what to look for. If you have a deep wallet, you can do just about anything you wish. BUT you could surely cruise at 25 to 30 for long distances for little cost (kind of) Just ask yourself if the potential bike looks safe in ref. to welds, wheels, tires, brakes etc. If you are comfortable with it then give it a try. note: by little cost (kind of) I meant that my bike seems to get me for 20$ here and 20$ there every now and again for little upgrades and such. But a well built bike and properly installed motor can give you miles of enjoyment with very little hassle. ENJOY!

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
Hello joshfan. I ride my motorbike to work a lot. Kinda fun getting outta work and taking the scenic way home. The thing paid for itself in gas savings in 2 months..and thats kinda nice. Welcome!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
15-18 miles round trip or one way? Either way, make sure you've got a loaded tool bag...that's all I gotta say.

Plus, it all depends on your route...Northern Virginia 15-18 miles...never. Indiana 15-18 miles...possible.

Joshfan

Jul 13, 2011
Arkansas
15-18 miles round trip or one way? Either way, make sure you've got a loaded tool bag...that's all I gotta say.

Plus, it all depends on your route...Northern Virginia 15-18 miles...never. Indiana 15-18 miles...possible.
Mostly flat road, three hills but there is a lot of traffic, in a couple areas. but a lot of side walks to use.

Joshfan

Jul 13, 2011
Arkansas
Hello joshfan. I ride my motorbike to work a lot. Kinda fun getting outta work and taking the scenic way home. The thing paid for itself in gas savings in 2 months..and thats kinda nice. Welcome!
Thanks for the welcome, I would like to but if i can't I am sure I can find other ways to save some money.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Hi josh Welcome to The Forum. I have been riding the same Brand New Bike with a Brand New Kit on it for three years. I ran out of gas and had to peddle some, but I was having too much fun. If you keep an eye on your bike, take care of it, No telling how long it will last. You will love this way of transportation. Were here to help, just ask. (c)

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca

I have to agree. Be ready to change tubes and tighten things up.

I carry a small and somewhat heavy tool bag in my backpack and also have a front bag holding a Heavy Duty tube as well as a small under the seat bag with a thin tube and a reflective vest. Might as well be seen on the side of the road.
I have had two flats since I have been riding this MaB and both events cut the tube in a way that slime or patches wouldn't make a difference. I do have a patch kit as well.

I would rather have a relaxed experience by knowing I can handle the simple repairs and adjustments than have stress over something breaking.

I know someone who rode 12 miles on a rim because they refused to carry tools or tubes. Needless to say it's about a new rim now for him. An expensive way to make fun of those carrying weight of tubes and tools.