I've always wondered...

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Why, on bicycles, is the front brake lever nearly always on the left side?

On motorcycles and scooters since the earliest days the front brake lever has always been on the right.

I'm asking this since on the next couple of builds I plan on going with a front brake (something none of my three builds have had, I shamefully admit).

Since I ride all types of two wheeled contrivances I'm putting the front brake levers on the right on these next bikes.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My last motorcycle was about thirty years ago but the rear brake was on a foot lever. I have no idea on the other. I gave some thought to reversing my clutch and brake lever.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Just my guess, but since the throttle is always on the right side and the clutch is on the left, there wasn't a lot of other alternatives for the brake lever but on the right side?....I suppose they could do it like probably most of us have had to with the HT engines and arrange it so that the clutch and front brake are on the left side.

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Huh?....Unless all my bikes are backwards all my front brakes have always been controlled from the left side?.....hmmm wait a sec I meant on a motorcycle the brake pedal controls the rear brake, the clutch is on the left, and the front brake is on the right...if it were any different it would be hard to manipulate the throttle and clutch it they were both on the right side handlebar....unless of course you had a left side foot clutch pedal like on a car....HA now that would be different!
Andrew

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
It better to keep you on your toes?!
well it works out good front brake on the left with the clutch on the left and rear brake on the right. Bicycles with hand brakes and no rear brake pedal motorcycles have the rear brake on a pedal anyway most do along with the shifter. Ride an old Harley sportster with the rear brake on the left side and the shifter on the right. On a panic stop if your not used to the bike mashing the shifter will not do any more than a very surprising down shift. Then again try riding a foot clutch bike( Hand shaker) that a difference tough when stopping on a hill and no front brake like on some custom choppers/ bobbers.
So we don't have it too bad. you can change it to fit your needs no rules say it has to be a certain way

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Yes well....

Just one more thing to get killed over. Nothing more important than knowing which is the rear and which is the front. Bicycles have it reversed to motorcycles.. That is the front brake lever. You better know which is which !! I remember riding my Friends Bultaco Pursang, I would try to shift and would be slamming on the back brake. Some old harleys were right side shift as well. Finally all motorcycles went to Left side shift. Since there is no foot brake on a bicycle, I guess they wanted to still have the right side be the back. Just a guess.. But..Know which is which and practice using them. It can save you.. Enjoy the ride...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yep, had a '72 XLCH.

A bike I own now (Capriolo) has the shift on the right, brake and kick start on the left.
My ATV has hand and foot brakes, pull start.
My scooter has two HAND brakes, no foot brake like a bicycle, but the front is on the right.
My big Suzuki has "regular" set up.
My motorized bike has a coaster brake only,

uh, which side is that on?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Coaster brake. Use wich ever side you want or both and if you can't stop a good scream might help.:confused: rotfl