Hello from Boise

GoldenMotor.com

TNoahr523

Jun 15, 2010
Boise Id
Hello I'm new too this motorized bike world just find out about this site today. this sound like alot of fun I'm going too check out the local law in my area tommow and see if I'll have too get a plate for my bike after I put a kit on it I would like too know is there any kits bigger then 80cc I'm a bit on the heavy side and what is the best kit too buy?drn2

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum!
The 80cc engines are actually 66cc. When the Chinese measure the volume, they include the area of the combustion chamber which really does not count. After the engine breaks in it will have more power for you to enjoy.
As for which kit is the best to buy? Wars have been waged over that question!
Let's start at the beginning, and figure it out from there.
What kind of riding do you plan on doing? Fast or leisurely?
Will you be hauling anything around, like a trailer or heavy items in saddlebags?
Will you be frequently going up any sort of hills?
How much will your whole bike weigh, your weight included. (You don't have to answer that here, just keep it in consideration when pondering an engine / transmission kit to use).
Will you be riding in inclement weather frequently?
Do you have a budget to keep to?
Do you have time to make long term improvements, and can you afford to have lesser performance in the mean time until the improvements are made?

Last edited:

TNoahr523

Jun 15, 2010
Boise Id
Well I like a motor that has speed to it I'll will be going up a few hills 2% grade or 3% I'm not sure what the bike weigh is it's a standard mountain bike no bad weather riding budget is covered I may haul duffle bag on back rack so the kit has to be in frame do you have any suggestion as to a kit that is good

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The Chinese in frame 2-stroke may do you well, but they do have their issues. Just read through some of the posts in the 2-stroke section and in frame section and you will understand.

I have a preference to the 4-strokes myself, using a ShellyBelly Whisper Drive or a Q-Matic. You could also use one from Thats Dax, Bicycle engines.com, ect.
Browse through the vendors on the left and right of the screen, there are alot of in frame or forward mounted powertrain options.
I am still sitting on the fence concerning the 4G transmission. They don't seem to be built as good as Whisper drive, or Q-Matic. Another thing to consider, both ShellyBelly and Q-Matic are coming out with automatic 2 speed transmissions. More torque and faster top speed, and still the (IMHO) benefits of a 4-stroke engine.
They are quieter, you do not have to use pre-mix oil, they produce more torque, are more reliable, and get better gas mileage. The 4-strokes also cost upwards to 3 times as much as a 2-stroke.
I cannot recommend one kit for you, they all have their good points, and bad.

ezdoesit

Jun 17, 2010
Michigan
I have 2, one is a 35cc Honda 4 stroke that is a Friction Drive that is on a Huffy and the other one is a 80cc thats on a Swinn mountain bike.

TNoahr523

Jun 15, 2010
Boise Id
i getting from the threads that the 2's blowup easy and have stall out poblems have you had any trouble with any of these problems with you 2 stroke.

Last edited: