Simulated Break In Period

GoldenMotor.com

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I was thinking, is there any way to simulate the break in period for an engine? Like maybe pop the back wheel up and run the bike for 30 minutes at ~15 mph. Then, let it rest, repeat for 3-4 tanks? I realize without the weight on the bike, 15mph wouldn't be 15 mph. Also if the speedo is mounted on the front tire it would be impossible to tell the speed unless the speedo was moved. Maybe just go to 1/2 throttle and let it run.

It's definitely not that I don't want to ride my (future) MB, it's just it would take a very long time for me to ride 300-600 miles at under 15mph, what with school and work and things.

Does anyone know a fast way to break in an MB?

By the way the speed and miles needed to ride for the break in time were from King's Motorbikes.

Thanks.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
That defeats the purpose of having a motorized Bicycle.

You do not have to keep your bike under 15mph at all. The first time I fired mine up I was hitting 23mph Full throttle, Just do not go WOT for miles at a time. Make sure to warm you bike up really good before you go full throttle. I would start with 20:1 or 24:1 for the first 2-4 tanks, then switch to 32:1.

Make sure you tune your bike to her best before you start putting miles on her.

Hope this helps

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
OK, that does help. The main thing was the speed issue, I can ride about 15mph almost constantly, except uphill, so I'm glad to hear I don't have to stay below that. In that case, I don't think I'll mind breaking in my engine at all :). Thanks!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i break in all my bikes the way i ride them. basically full throttle. i do take the time to clean up the motors before even running them, though. like porting the intake and exhaust, cleaning up the transfer case ports, etc...

it's a little more work, but it pays off.

my first bike, i tried to baby it for the first day, then couldn't take it anymore, and just rode it flat out. the motor still works great after 1500 miles or so.

and seriously, if you run your bike stationary for 30 minutes at a time, letting it cool down, then doing it again, you might as well get a pack of smokes and spend a day raging around town...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Vary the throttle amount and engine RPM and no long downhill runs with the throttle closed.
That is all, ride it.

pdubs

Jan 16, 2010
chicago
i just ran 32:1 right off the bat, and rode the **** out of it.. so far so good after about 20 miles and the engine is creating more power an rev.

now i just gotta wait for a Heavy Duty freewheel for my SBP shift kit.
dont be cheap and buy the cheasy freewheel, spend the extra cash for the HD! :D

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
For the first few miles I ran mine pretty slow anyway. Just getting used to it, how it rode, and if something breaks or the chain pops off going 10-15mph not as much damage will happen as with 30mph. 32:1 seems a bit oil rich, I've been running 50:1 synthetic for well over 3000 miles, and my engine still runs great, high compression, and I can cruise over 30 all day.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
i break in all my bikes the way i ride them. basically full throttle. i do take the time to clean up the motors before even running them, though. like porting the intake and exhaust, cleaning up the transfer case ports, etc...

it's a little more work, but it pays off.

my first bike, i tried to baby it for the first day, then couldn't take it anymore, and just rode it flat out. the motor still works great after 1500 miles or so.

and seriously, if you run your bike stationary for 30 minutes at a time, letting it cool down, then doing it again, you might as well get a pack of smokes and spend a day raging around town...
Just going off what King's Motorbikes said

Vary the throttle amount and engine RPM and no long downhill runs with the throttle closed.
That is all, ride it.
Again it seems like King's was waaaaay off about break in period. Sounds like many of the members just rode their MB's like normal and it eventually broke in, increased power etc...

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Ive never noticed any difference weather I break in the motor easy with a few miles or I run it like it`s already broke in out of the box.....I`ll take it easy untill I get it tuned pretty close , but after that it`s on......

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
One other thing. If you did get a CycleOps or other stationary attachment and ran it for a while, the engine would over heat because it is air cooled. If no air is moving over it to cool it it would get too hot. UNLESS, you had a giant fan to blow on it. Besides, I would rather be out riding it. :D

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not to mention idling and engine for prolonged periods, ESPECIALLY during break in is just bad for them, and won't help seal the rings one bit.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
In my experience the break in period is to seat the rings where they ride constantly in the same position in the stroke. Bikeguy joe do you care to elaborate on idling vs increased throttle as to how that affects seating the rings?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sure, they need the "heat cycling" of various throttle amounts to seat the ring. When on the throttle, you are putting more pressure on them than when off throttle. Also, part to full throttle produces more heat.

Also, believe it or not, there is a microscopic amount of stretch and some elongation of the crank at various rpm, so unless you are going to run your engine at one speed all the time, you'll want to vary the rpm during break in.

Here's the bottom line- if someone wants to let their engine idle for a few hours in front of a fan, instead of riding the bike, go ahead and do it.

Let us know how it goes, and how many plugs you foul.
How can you tune in an engine when it's sitting there idling?

You can't.