Help with start-up

GoldenMotor.com

kypilgrim

Jul 6, 2009
kentucky, USA
I installed the motor on my bike a couple of weeks ago. So far all I have is a harder to peddle bicycle. For some reason it won't start. The only problem I had during installation was getting the carburator on. The top of the carburator hits my bike frame so I had to roll it to one side about 15 degrees. Does anyone know if this is a problem and perhaps why my motor won't run? If so, are there any suggestions?
Thanks.

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
I had a similar problem, which I may have brought on to myself. I completely tore down and rebuilt my engine. This was my first complete restoral, so I expected problems. From the factory, you should not have this problem, but look anyway to rule it out: Take off the little plate that covers the magneto. With clutch engaged, turn the tooth chain sprocket. The magneto should spin four times faster than the chain sprocket. If the magneto does not spin, the clutch plate is slipping; your engine cannot possibly be making spark if the magneto does not spin. I had to tighten my clutch plate pressure. Let us know; someone can help you some more.

Symptoms include a lot of drag on the pedals, but no "chugging" sounds that the piston makes when it moves up and down. You may have to temporarily pull the sparkplug to get a feel for what "chugging" sounds are like. Then replace the plug and listen for similar sounds.

Also today, I discovered that the primer button on the carb helps start the engine if held down for two or three seconds, not just press and release. And the choke lever is open. My first engine starts after setting for a while were hard to get until I pressed the primer button for a longer time.

kypilgrim

Jul 6, 2009
kentucky, USA
Thanks for all the advice. Pulled spark plug and cannot see spark when riding, but hear a rythmatic pecking when up to speed coming from plug that would indicate it's sparking. Compression seems to be working because if I'm going less than 5 mph and release cluth it will almost throw me over handlebars. Set choke up and tried at 20 mph. Nothing. Removed plug and squirted ether in cylinder, tried at 20 mph. Nothing. Primed 3 times and tried at 20 mph. Nothing. primed 3 more times and tried at 20 mph. Nothing. Primed three more times and tried at 20 mph. Nothing. Primed three more times and gas squirted out of breather on carburator.
Suspect I ruined a good bike.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Thanks for all the advice. Pulled spark plug and cannot see spark when riding, but hear a rythmatic pecking when up to speed coming from plug that would indicate it's sparking. Compression seems to be working because if I'm going less than 5 mph and release cluth it will almost throw me over handlebars. Set choke up and tried at 20 mph. Nothing. Removed plug and squirted ether in cylinder, tried at 20 mph. Nothing. Primed 3 times and tried at 20 mph. Nothing. primed 3 more times and tried at 20 mph. Nothing. Primed three more times and tried at 20 mph. Nothing. Primed three more times and gas squirted out of breather on carburator.
Suspect I ruined a good bike.
I seriously doubt you have ruined anything!

Change out the plug to a NGK B6S or B6HS.

After you change the plug...shut the fuel off, leave the choke off, (lever down),...don't mess with the primer button!

Pedal up to speed and dump the clutch. As you are pedaling crack the throttle. Listen for a popping sound that would indicate the engine is firing gasoline. Stop.

Turn the fuel on...pedal up to speed again, and dump the clutch. Again, crack the throttle. The engine should pop over.

If this works, then the lesson was learned...you flooded the engine. When cold you may need the choke for the first 10 seconds. An alternative to easy starting may be to hit the primer button once. You will have to learn the quirks of your engine.

2 cycle engines are easily flooded, and difficult to clear if you don't know how. The easiest way to clear a flooded engine is to install a new plug and shut the fuel off until the engine has cleared.

Jim

kypilgrim

Jul 6, 2009
kentucky, USA
Thanks Jim,

I tried what you suggested yesterday with the old plug and it started and ran. I rode for about a mile. The throttle was out of adjustment so I adjusted it a little and tried it again today. Wouldn't start so I relaced the plug as you said. The new plug works a lot better. I finished adjusting the throttle and rode a while this afternoon. Can't get very far because people keep stopping me wanting to look at my motorcycle. Especially young boys.
It's pretty cool. Thanks for the help. It was very much appreciated.