Cvt Rack Mount

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Re: Belt Drive Cvt Trans Rack Mount Chain Drive Free

Thank You Mr Fair, We Could Have Fun Building These Mab Together!! I Wonder If Dan Is Watching? He Has Been Waiting For An Update. I Wonder If He Is Worrying About His Little Boy "happy"?? I Think He Is A Twin, That Should Help. Lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Woeaa! That is awesome Ron. Have been playing with doing some thing like that with the cranks. Is fantastic to see it can work so close. Thanks big time

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Lf, I Was Reading About Your Diet, Good Luck With It. I Do Not Use The 5:1 Gear Box. I Bolt The Cvt Right Up To The Titan. I Think You Did The Same. On The 2 Stroke Cag Motor Cvt Build, I Have 8mm 17 Tooth On The Tranny And A 8mm 72 Tooth On The Rear Axle Freewheel Adapter. ( The Cvt Has The Built In 3.75:1 Ratio Gears, To My Knowledge The Belts Start Out At 1.7 Ratio And Reverse At High Speed). I Know You Know As Much As Me About Thes Cvt`s. I Go Into Detail To Make It Clear For Newbies Etc. The Gearing Seemed To Be Near Perfect. I Weight Close To 300 Myself. The Titan Has A 11 Tooth On The Trans And 54 On The Wheel. It Will Be Geared A Little Lower. More Power On Takeoff, Not Needed For Sure, But Thats The Closest Sprocket Combo I Have Rite Now. Very Pleased With The 2 Stroke Performance. Hope This Answers Your ?? Ron

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado

It most defenitly does! Right now I have the jackshaft so I can get freewheel going. And the 16t is just way too low although going down a straight it does pick up speed to about 25 mph.
One thing I have noticed about this CVT is that the clutch housing or cap whatever you want to call is a little more narrow than the one in the 5:1 box but the clutch shoes still grab it ok.
And then the CVT it seems to make less clutch slipping for longer life.
I'll get that 14T when money becomes more available.
I'm pretty sure now that's the right ticket.
Even for a 26 inch cruiser bike that 14T should work fine with a 44T wheel.
The waiting to get it is the hardest part though.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Lf, When I Start Out I Have Approx 30:1 Ratio. Most Of The China Girl-happy Time Motors Are Geared 18:1 OR There Abouts. The Cg Motors Have An Internal Gear Ratio Of 4.2:1. If You Will, Post The Sprocket Tooth Counts And I Will Figure Your Final Ratio And See Where You Are At. And Where Is Your Freewheel? You Have The Dax 10 Tooth On The Cvt A Chain Then Goes To What And The Left Side Jackshaft Has A What And What On The Wheel? Ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Lf, Right Now You Have A 44 Tooth On The Wheel And A 16 Tooth Driving The 44 On The Wheel? A 10 Tooth On The Trans Going To How Many Teeth On The Jack Shaft.? Ron

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado

Right now I have a 36T sprocket on a 20 inch wheel. I was just saying this is probably comparable to a 44T on a 26inch wheel which is pretty standard on the 2 strokes and the Titan kit.
The freewheel I got by getting the stanton freewheel adapter and a BMX style freewheel screws right on there to the jackshaft. Here's some more info and a video:

http://motorbicycling.com/f13/lfs-buggy-bike-got-cvt-today-7622-3.html

It works great. Check out my bike just rolling along when I let off the throttle.

The downside is that the smallest I can get is a 14T but when you use the Titan carrier everything just lines up! On your bike you can use a 44T on the right and a rag joint yet and keep your pedaling and with the freewheel on the jackshaft you're good to go. But I yet don't know if the 14T is the right gearing till I pick one up.

The stanton adapter get the 5/8 then a reducer sleeve from Granger or anywhere really that would reduce the 5/8 to a 1/2 or do what I did and get a 15mm and cut a 1/2 inch copper pipe an inch then cut lenghtwise. It's a good fit.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Lf. Yes I Have 4 Staton Freewheel Adapters. 3 With The 7/8" Bore And One With 5/8" Bore. They Are Neat Adapters. It Seems Awful Hard To Get You To Expose Your Tooth Count!!! Lol. Ok So The 10 Tooth Dax On The Cvt Drives The Freewheel 16 Tooth???? Then You Have How Many Teeth Driving The 36 Tooth Wheel Sprocket?

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado

It's geared really low right now. Okay I have a 36 tooth sprocket on a 20 inch rim. This should be like having a 44t sprocket on your 26 inch rim. This goes to the Titan Jack Shaft 10T. On the end I have a 16T BMX freewheel but I think a 14T would work alot better. Then on the CVT a 10T Titan sprocket that comes with the kit attatched to the 5:1 gearbox. You need to grind the end of that sprocket a little really not much so the c clip will fit right on the shaft.
Watching the video notice how nice everything lines up. Then to adjust chain tension just slide the engine foward or back.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Lf. I `m Pretty Sure The Gears In The Cvt Are 3.75:1. Anyhow I Will Calulate Your Ratio And Post It Now. If You Use The Comparison Of 44 Tooth Sprocket On A 26" Wheel (to 36 Tooth On 20" Wheel ) You Have A Final Ratio Of "45:1". The Cvt Must Be Shifting Up Almost Instantly. My Starting Ratio Is About 30:1 With A 26" Wheel. And Seems Perfect For Me. You Need A Much Bigger Sprocket On The Jack Shaft Driving The Rear Wheel Or Bigger Freewheel Sprocket, Change 1 Or Both. I Will Figure It Out Later. Hope This Helps. Ron

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon

very cool set up, my only complaint is you removed the pedal power so technically you have a moped not a pedal bike any more which may cause issue with certain local officials.They make engines with the shaft on left or right side, why did you choose one with a right shaft for a Bike ?

But you have given me a very good idea as I have two bikes that are similar to yours and my first thought was to make a pusher motor for them, but your idea is alot better for what I want other than removing the pedaling part of the bike.
Motor+Pedals equals Moped, no peddles and it is technically a scooter. People just kep't calling the scooters they came out with Mopeds, because they started with peddles too. But a real Moped has a motor and peddles.usflg But seriously all these builds are sweet guys keep it up, Like McDonalds......"I'm Lovin it"

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Hi, Commander Did Not Read My Posts In Their Entirety. I Had Explained That It Was A Build In Progress. That I Would Be Reversing The Crank For A Left Side Pedal Option. I Even Had A Die Made To Cut Left Hand Threads On The Left Side Of Rear Wheel Hub. I Did Thread Some And Will Use A Free Wheel On My China Girl Kits. I Have Bought Some Pull Staters. I May Use Some Of Jim`s Adapters Also. But Now I Came Up With The 2 Right Hand Freewheels And Think It Will Be Better. Ron ..... .cvlt1

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Hi, Yesterday In Post 38 I Have Pictures Showing The Dual Right Side Freewheels. The Pedals Will Be Working. I Hope That Explains It Better. I Also Tell You What Cheap Parts Work. Ron . .cvlt1

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado

Lf. I `m Pretty Sure The Gears In The Cvt Are 3.75:1. Anyhow I Will Calulate Your Ratio And Post It Now. If You Use The Comparison Of 44 Tooth Sprocket On A 26" Wheel (to 36 Tooth On 20" Wheel ) You Have A Final Ratio Of "45:1". The Cvt Must Be Shifting Up Almost Instantly. My Starting Ratio Is About 30:1 With A 26" Wheel. And Seems Perfect For Me. You Need A Much Bigger Sprocket On The Jack Shaft Driving The Rear Wheel Or Bigger Freewheel Sprocket, Change 1 Or Both. I Will Figure It Out Later. Hope This Helps. Ron

That's my dillemma. The gearing now seems right except my CVT won't shift at all until I reach a straght or a slight downhill.
I really think it's my weight.
I mean even the scooters these CVT's are designed for gives us I think a 150 pound weight limit I can't quote anyone on that but 300 pounds may be too much for this little tranny and will stay locked on low till it gets the less resistance it needs to start shifting.

Watch that riding video. I got my engine reving out and it just stays stuck on low till I start going down a small slope. And it picks right up going down that sidewalk it's a small downhill slope but when starting off a small uphill slope it's just crawling.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Lf, Now I Think I Remember Your Problem!! You Were Messing With The Spring Pressure And Adjustments. I Did Not Change Anything And Mine Seems Fine So Far. If It Is Not Shifting Up With The Gear Ratio You Now Have, The Spring Must Be To Tight Or Strong. If It Ain`t Broke, Don`t Fix It! Lol. I Need To Get Back To The Shop Before It Gets Too Hot. I Will Check With You Later. If You Get A Chance, You May Try Adjusting The Spring. Ron >> >>cvlt1

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado

I'm thinking the spring is too strong too but it's already set on the loosest setting.
But when you have weight that too can prevent from upshifting because the tension from the weight is not relieved until I approach a straight to slight downhill.
My son is like 150 pounds and when he rides that cvt shifts up right away.
How much do you weigh,NT?

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Lf, The Scale Broke Just Before 300 Lbs. Lol It Sounded Like It Said; Get Off Me! Mine Works Perfect With My Weight And The Pedals Were Not Hooked Up Yet For Starting Assist. With No Chain, I Pedal Backwards, Let The Nabors Figure That Out! Ha Ha. I Have The Pedal Chain On The Titan Cvt. Hope To Get It Done This Morning, Before It Gets To 95 Degree`s I Do Not Think Your Weight Is A Problem, On Level Terain Anyway. Mine Slows Down On Small Hills But Keeps On Chugging. Later, Ron . . . . .cvlt1