Clucth in at idle and engine reving out of control?

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
if your key isn't sheared then the high idle has to be a leak in the intake system or your carb is sticking as in the throttle slide the screw on the side is only a idle speed control as Jim said. So check out the carb and intake and main seals for leaking or sticking components.
you might also check the throttle twist grip and cable for binding or sticking.
Norman

saolom

Oct 14, 2008
Australia
Thank Jim.

Norman I will change all the gaskets and lube all cable again and see how I go.

No other sites give me more help & info then this one. Thanks to all!

snorks

Jan 16, 2009
Africa
Check that the cable is long enough while the handle bars are turned full right & full left. Perhaps turning the bars in one extreme is stretching the cable & lifting the slide.

Michigan1

Mar 4, 2009
Arizona
I was having a similar problem.......my throttle was not having any affect at all on the speed of the engine. I looked at a couple of the hints given in this thread and it turned out I had my brass slide in 180 degrees out of whack. I had thought all along that it only could go in the one way but I sure was wrong. Running great now!!!!!

Thanks to all!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I having a similar problem too,i pull the clutch in and it idles out of control,the only way to idle it down is to close the choke almost all the way.Im going to check the throttle cable and check for air leaks too.
And if that is only a slide stop screw,is there a idle screw anywhere else?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
It sounds like it could be the cable being too tight. Have you tried unwinding the screw that some refer to as the idle screw. No there is no other adjusting screw.

Sidthekidd11

Mar 5, 2009
ny
hey guys im new to the motor bicylcle scene but i have a problem and i have no idea about these bike nor motors. i am not able to start the not able to start the bike up with the choke down but i can start it up with the choke up but then when i put the choke down the engine dies. i have been able to get around this temporarily by moving the choke down a little bit at a time then wait to go top speed and repeat this process untill the choke is all the way down. even when im riding with the choke all the way down it feels as if the engine has more in it...please help
thanks mike

:-||

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Did you use a fuel filter. You should see if you have an air leak where the carb mounts. Make sure it is all the way on and nice and tight. Also tighten the two nuts on the intake manifold, the thing the carb slides onto.You may as well do that to all the nuts,it needs to be done on a new bike. Make sure that there is lots of gas in the fuel line and if nothing helps, you may have to see what's causing a lean fuel mixture by taking the carb apart. Do a search on "lean fuel" or lean carb on this site.
It's not a biggie and you will get it.