58V electric chainsaw to power bike?

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
So I'm thinking of making a bike with this electric chainsaw as the power source: http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-16-...shless-Cordless-Chainsaw-CCS-58V4AH/205566014 It would require very little modification, as it already has a variable speed throttle, a clutch, and the gear on the left side of the bike when the saw is facing the back of the bike. I was thinking I could use a water jet to cut a gear for a bike chain with a hole in the center of it that's the same shape as the existing gear that is used to drive the chainsaw chain, this gear would fit over the existing gear. I was also thinking I could probably get between 60-90 minutes run time out of one 58V 4ah battery, so I could carry two of them to get a pretty respectable range. What does everyone think of this idea?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Looks like a great saw! But honestly seems like a hard way to electrify a bike unless you just want to do it for the challenge, which I can certainly understand.

The bike I am building now will come in E wise at about the same price( if I had stayed with the stock kit) including batteries(Lipos 63v) and its a simple build. Not so sure of your estimated run time . Running 5ah lipos(observing 3.5v/cell) will yield about a 10/12mi range @ around 15mph or less than 1hr duration, way less if crusing 25+.

Just my thoughts. A bike with a chainsaw driving it is always pretty cool and a conversation starter. If that's what you are after go for it. Should be an interesting build.