48v 30 watt continious output vs

GoldenMotor.com

Helplessoldman

Jan 7, 2012
Peoria, IL
Yes, I have the 1680 Watt version. I bought the battery from ping batteries. The more amps you have the further distance you can go. To put it simple, more volts, more speed-more amps more miles. of course it has to do a little with the type of motor. My motor mounts to the frame where the newer versions mount to the crank arm. It says my motor will do 46 mph, I'm a big guy I can only get it to go 34mph which is fast enough.

brnot

Helplessoldman

Jan 7, 2012
Peoria, IL
I forgot to say about the wifes bike. It has a magic pie 3 motor with a 48 volt 10amp battery she can go about 27 mph for about 25 miles. At one time I put on my 48v 20amp battery and did the same speed but I got over 50 miles before recharge. I did have to peddle a little up hills but this is the quietest motor and very reliable.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
You've been A TREMONDOUS help. Im sure Ive decided on the 1680 watt conversion and most likely a 20ah ping battery. Through my research I think the Sick Bike kit uses a Cyclone motor.

I weigh 163 (for the last 20 years lol) so I imagine my top speed would be a bit more. Getting excited now Im not sure if I want to use my Rockhopper or look for a full suspension bike.

Dan.

Helplessoldman

Jan 7, 2012
Peoria, IL
I finally looked at Sick Bike Parts and Yes it's the exact same one I have from E-Cyclone. If I could justify it I would buy a 30 Amp battery next for even a longer ride. Good luck with your build. A full suspension bike would work great.
dnut

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Ive been asking Paul aka Pablo a bunch of questions and think Im getting close to ordering.

Another question! So you have a 10ah ping for your wifes MagicPie 3. I think the 10ah only has like 20 continuous amps max and the MagicPie 3 requires like 30 or 35 continuous amps, how does this effect the battery and the hub?

I ask because the Sick Bikes motor requires 35 continuous amps but Id love to have the option of sticking a 10lb battery in my backpack for mountain biking on occasion and letting the wife use the 20ah battery and then when I want long rides to plug the 10ah battery back into her bike which is a front hub set up and plugging the 20ah back into my bike.

Best of both worlds possible here????

(Sorry for the delay in my response, in laws have been visiting from out of town)

Dan.

Last edited:

Helplessoldman

Jan 7, 2012
Peoria, IL
I do Have a 48v 10amp lifepo4 with 20 amps continuous. The wifes bike will run 27mph for about 25 miles. I have had no problems yet with this setup. I don't know the continuous output of my 20 amp battery but I know its more the 20. What you are talking about sounds like a good idea. Keep in touch.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Ive been asking Paul aka Pablo a bunch of questions and think Im getting close to ordering.

Another question! So you have a 10ah ping for your wifes MagicPie 3. I think the 10ah only has like 20 continuous amps max and the MagicPie 3 requires like 30 or 35 continuous amps, how does this effect the battery and the hub?

I ask because the Sick Bikes motor requires 35 continuous amps but Id love to have the option of sticking a 10lb battery in my backpack for mountain biking on occasion and letting the wife use the 20ah battery and then when I want long rides to plug the 10ah battery back into her bike which is a front hub set up and plugging the 20ah back into my bike.

Best of both worlds possible here????

(Sorry for the delay in my response, in laws have been visiting from out of town)

Dan.
35 amp continuous usually means the controller will support 35amps on a continuous basis, doesn't mean 35 amps are required constantly. My controller will allow 40amp bursts with 30 amps continuous. In the cruise mode Im usually only pulling around 9-10amps. You can certainly run the 10ah battery, its just a matter of how long.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I need to clarify some figures, was pulling them from my memory, not a good thing to do at my age. Had the specs from my battery mixed in with my speed control and the BMS. I have a 48v 15ah battery rated at 100amp bursts and 30amps continuous. My speed control is rated at 20amps max with 15amps continuous. The BMS is rated similar to the speed control. My system is relatively mild one, limited by the BMS/speed control basically. The motor in the SBP kit is a pretty hefty consumer/powerhouse. Im sure it will preform best with the recommended battery, but you could operate it on anything even SLAs with proper management. When you buy a battery see if it has a BMS and what the rating is, that can be a limiting factor even with a bigger battery.

Sounds like an interesting build. Have fun!

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I need to clarify some figures, was pulling them from my memory, not a good thing to do at my age. Had the specs from my battery mixed in with my speed control and the BMS. I have a 48v 15ah battery rated at 100amp bursts and 30amps continuous. My speed control is rated at 20amps max with 15amps continuous. The BMS is rated similar to the speed control. My system is relatively mild one, limited by the BMS/speed control basically. The motor in the SBP kit is a pretty hefty consumer/powerhouse. Im sure it will preform best with the recommended battery, but you could operate it on anything even SLAs with proper management. When you buy a battery see if it has a BMS and what the rating is, that can be a limiting factor even with a bigger battery.

Sounds like an interesting build. Have fun!
Good info, thank you.
Im looking at Ping batteries and they do come with a BMS.

Specs on the 48v 10ah
Specifications:
Suitable Wattage of Motor: up to 550 Watt, 450 Watt suggested
Applications: E-Bike, Electric Bike, E-Scooter, Electric Scooter
Voltage: 48 Volts
Capacity: 10 Amp Hours
Dimension: 200x105x150 mm / 7.9x4.1x5.9 inches
Weight: 4.90 kg / 10.8 lbs
Charging Voltage: 60-61 Volts
Charging Current: <5 Amps
Rated Discharging Amperage: 10 Amps
Max Continuous Discharging Amperage: 20 Amps
Maximum Discharging Current: 40 Amps
Discharging Cut-off Protection: 30 Amps
Lifecycle of the whole pack: >85% capacity after 1000 cycles. Lifecycle of single cell: >85% capacity after 1500 cycles, >70% capacity after 3000 cycles. (<1C discharge rate and <1C charge rate)

Specs on the 48v 20ah
Specifications:
Suitable Wattage of Motor: up to 1200 Watt, 800 Watt suggested
Applications: E-Bike, Electric Bike, E-Scooter, Electric Scooter
Voltage: 48 Volts
Capacity: 20 Amp Hours
Dimension: 195x210x150 mm / 7.7x8.3x5.9 inches
Weight: 9.90 kg / 21.90 lbs
Charging Voltage: 60-61 Volts
Charging Current: <5 Amps
Rated Discharging Amperage: 20 Amps
Max Continuous Discharging Amperage: 40 Amps
Maximum Discharging Current: 60 Amps
Discharging Cut-off Protection: 50 Amps
Lifecycle of the whole pack: >85% capacity after 1000 cycles. Lifecycle of single cell: >85% capacity after 1500 cycles, >70% capacity after 3000 cycles. (<1C discharge rate and <1C charge rate)

Jim from Sick Bikes e-mailed me and I will quote him.
I don't see an issue using the 10 ah battery as a back up. You can view batteries this way. The voltage is similar to the type of fuel and the ah is how large the fuel tank is. So a 48v and 20 ah is the same as a 48v 10 ah except 10 ah is only half the size of gas tank. So basically it will just run about half as long. Of course there are C rating and such but this is a good generalization.

Im still worried about overheating a 10ah battery if Im in the woods with hills and rocks and stuff but I guess that's what gears are for.

I better start ordering something soon with the anticipated long ship times lol!

Dan.

Helplessoldman

Jan 7, 2012
Peoria, IL
Check out a web site bmsbattery.com for lifepo4 batteries. I bought my 48v 20amp from ping and I'm happy with it. They now sell for $658 with slow charger plus $31 more for a larger discharge amp rate and the BMS site sells theirs for $575 no charger and large amp discharge rate.
It all gets confusing...........

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Check out a web site bmsbattery.com for lifepo4 batteries. I bought my 48v 20amp from ping and I'm happy with it. They now sell for $658 with slow charger plus $31 more for a larger discharge amp rate and the BMS site sells theirs for $575 no charger and large amp discharge rate.
It all gets confusing...........
Thanks, that does save me some money although the shipping cost is a guessing game and you can even add extra money (a buck at a time) to cover added shipping cost. Odd.

I e-mailed the company and asked how that works, we shall see.

Any idea on which charger to buy???? Is it best to buy two?

Oh and Im not sure if I mentioned this before but the sick bike kit doesn't come with a 3 chainwheel option :( Jim at sick bikes will help me pick out parts to make it a 3 piece kit (although it sounds complicated) and they say 99% of the customers don't need that option. How do you feel about that?

Dan.

Helplessoldman

Jan 7, 2012
Peoria, IL
A larger amp charger will charge faster. I have a 2 amp charger for my 10 amp batt and it seems to take forever to charge. And I have a 5 amp charger for the 20 amp batt and it's much faster. As far as the chainwheel goes, I find myself only using the 1 gear up front and using all the gears in back. If I had it all over to do again I would get the single chainwheel. Less shifting and less things to adjust.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Darnit lol. After literally hours of going back and forth I finally made up my mind on a vendor, BmsBattery. But then I looked around the web and found a lot of bum reviews along with good reviews. Downside is I'm looking at a 400 dollar difference between them and the next cheapest vendor Golden Motors which doesn't carry the 48v 12ah that I'm wanting (based on size) much less a 48v 12ah with a high rate bms.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Jumped into the deep end this morning and ordered two batteries from Golden Motor. I was swaying between Ping and GM and EM3EV and I think I was just over thinking over researching blah blah blah lol.

Have my eye on a Kona Stinky Full suspension bike but it weighs 40lbs!

Anyways, just updating the thread.

dnut