Brand New Defective Chinese Battery !!!

GoldenMotor.com

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Well guys it looks like I have bad luck when ordering parts directly from China for my Magic Pie (trying to save money). First it was one of the handbrakes which I ended up throwing away, now it's the battery, albeit not a real major problem...I ordered a 48V 15Ah LiPo from Ping Battery with an advanced BMS for extra $$$. From what I've read and been told there are 16 cells/foil pouches in the battery. If anyone has read instructions or descriptions of products from china more often than not they leave you scratching your head (WTF!!) There are 16 LEDS on the BMS. The instructions say to charge the battery until ALL the LEDS remain lit. In another paragraph they tell you that if 1 or 2 LEDs don't light up not to worry that the battery is fully charged and to go ahead and use it. Since I got the battery (2 weeks ago) I completely drained the battery once, and almost drained the battery the a second time. My question is how much Voltage/AH do I actually have now since 2 of the 16 cells do not charge or work. Ping has stopped answering my emails since I brought up this defect. I'm retired & can't afford replacing expensive stuff like this on a regular basis.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hook the battery up to a voltmeter after you charge it. both my batteries I cannot see the bms. you should read from around 56 to 58v fully charged, I do not trust them little leds. also post a picture of the connection for your brake handle. i have an extra one however their is 2 styles. if i have the correct one i will send to you if you like

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
If 2 of your cells did not work, the controller would not power the motor because it thought the battery was dead.

Does the bike go down the road under it's own power?

If you do not get at least 20 miles out of a fresh charge I would be concerned.

Don't worry about the leds, worry if your bike don't run. How many miles did you get when you ran it all the way down and the controller shut off?

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Thanks Paul for your offer, I'll stick to what I've got (bike's orig. handbrake) but I'll take voltage readings & see what I've got. Mike, the controller never shut off . The bike slowed down and stopped, but when I got off of it there was juice in it but I could stop the bike by just holding it still. Last time I rode it was 17 miles but that is including my very long & very steep Killer Hill, and another long but not so steep hill. Also I can still pedal the bike.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I think you are OK.

My leds never went "all on" there were always 1 or 2 that did not light.

I have a 48V, 15AH Ping and it is a good battery. I got 35 miles on flat ground but that was 20 MPH max 'cause it was a 20" wheel, so low current draw.