Partially open throttle - is this normal?

GoldenMotor.com

SuedePflow

Jun 12, 2013
Coloma, MI
I connected my throttle cable to the carb last night and the "barrel" in the carb does not fully seat when off the throttle. Is is supposed to be slightly open like this when off the throttle?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
it sits on the idle screw - turn the screw and see if it moves up & down, if not, then your throttle cable is adjusted too tight or your throttle grip may need trimming for more slack

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'll check the idle screw when I get home tonight.

So just to confirm, it is supposed to be closed?
no, it is supposed to be controlled by the idle screw - turn the screw in & it opens more - out & it closes more

if it doesn't move when you turn the screw, then it is stuck or the cable is too short

it isn't important how open it is, just whether the screw can control it both ways

SuedePflow

Jun 12, 2013
Coloma, MI
Found out the hard way. I just fired it up for the first time this afternoon and it drove off uncontrolably. lol

It seems my cable is bit too short. I had to take off the threaded adjuster at the top of the carb and drill it deeper so that the cable sat in deeper. Problem solved.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Found out the hard way. I just fired it up for the first time this afternoon and it drove off uncontrolably. lol

It seems my cable is bit too short. I had to take off the threaded adjuster at the top of the carb and drill it deeper so that the cable sat in deeper. Problem solved.
one can also use a razor blade to trim 1/8inch off the throttle grip where the cable hooks in